The Snipewriter 5B is similar in design to the Snipewriter 5H. Notable differences are that the drawing compass is red instead of blue and the presence of a sticker of the Nouveau logo placed near the tip of the pencil.
The Snipewriter 5B was first revealed through social media networks on 17 November 2023, and was released on 1 December 2023 as part of the Chill Season 2023 update. Its kit features Splash Wall as the sub weapon and Ink Storm as the special weapon.
- The Snipewriter 5B is a middleweight weapon.
- The matchmaking range is 25. The game's matchmaking system looks at a team's average matchmaking range value, and matches them against a team with a similar average.
- Ink consumption scales from 1.97% to 35% depending on the charge level.
- The full-charge ink consumption of 35% allows players to fully charge 2 times before running out of ink.
- The Snipewriter 5B cannot store its charge.
- Fully charging the weapon allows it to fire 5 times before needing to recharge.
- When fully charged, the weapon can fire every 17 frames.
- It takes 1.2 seconds to fully charge the weapon (72 frames).
- When charging a shot with an empty tank, the charge rate is 33.33%, permitting the player to fully charge a shot in 3.6 seconds.
- When charging a shot while in the air, the charge rate is 33.33%, permitting the player to fully charge a shot in 3.6 seconds.
- The weapon must charge for at least 8 frames before it can release its charge.
- The interval between firing and being able to submerge in ink is 15 frames.
- Fully charged shots will not pierce opponents.
- When charging while moving, the player's movement speed is set to 0.068 units per frame.
- Damage scales from 40 to 68 depending on the charge level.
- Shot distance scales from 10.76 units to 25.77 units depending on the charge level. At full charge, the distance is 27.77 units.
- The range of charger weapons is impacted by the position of the weapon's muzzle in its model file. These range numbers account for this variation.
The Snipewriter 5B is a great illustration of how versatile the Snipewriter system is! The 5B is made from softer material than the 5H, making it even easier to learn. Throw out a Splash Wall for cover while you're charging up or unloading a full charge — or use it to distract from your Ink Storm special. With the capacity for five shots on a full charge, the Snipewriter 5B makes a great first charger, because there's not so much pressure on aiming one powerful shot perfectly. Of course, with the luxury of hiding out behind that Splash Wall, maybe you CAN aim perfectly! Why not give this set a try and find out?
- Main article: Badge#Weapon freshness
|Snipewriter 5B Badges
|4★ Snipewriter 5B User
|5★ Snipewriter 5B User
Model of the Snipewriter 5B rotating (link to file)
- The Sniperwriter 5B has the exact same sub and special weapon that the Bloblobber had in Splatoon 2: the Splash Wall and Ink Storm.
- The Snipewriter 5B and the Splatana Stamper Nouveau are the only Nouveau-branded variants to not follow the naming scheme of appending Nouveau after the weapon name.
- When the Snipewriter 5B was revealed on social media, Nintendo's SplatoonNA Twitter account erroneously mistranslated SplatoonJP's previous tweet and stated that the weapon's kit would have the Splattercolor Screen special weapon as a sub weapon, rather than Splash Wall.
Similar to the Snipewriter 5H, the "5B" in the name of the Snipewriter 5B is based on the pencil grading of the same name. A 5B-graded pencil is made of extremely soft graphite and marks in black. It is also likely short for "5 bullets" in a similar vein to the Snipewriter 5H's "5 hits" referencing the number of shots on one full charge.
Names in other languages
|Stacking Point Pencil/Rocket Pencil 5 Bullets
|From schot ("shot"), potlood ("pencil") and 5B
|Crayon X - 5B
|X Pencil - 5B
|Lapis Cecchino 5B
|Pencil Sniper 5B
|Bandoliencil 5B[note 1]
|From cargador ("charger") + portaminas ("mechanical pencil") 5B.
- From патронташ patrontash ("bandolier"), карандаш karandash ("pencil") and 5M ("5B", where M means мягкий myagkiy ("soft"))