When thrown, a second after touching a surface, the Splat Bomb explodes and coats the area in its respective team's color. Splat Bombs will not explode in mid-air; they can only explode after touching an object. They look slightly different in Octo Valley.
Splat Bombs are the default sub weapon in Octo Valley, able to be switched out for Burst Bombs or Seekers via once they are unlocked. Neither can be used in amiibo challenges, making Splat Bombs the only usable sub weapon for the Hero Roller and Hero Charger.
Splat Bombs are used to defeat the Ravenous Octomaw by throwing them into its mouth, stunning it when they explode.
- The Splat Bomb's deployment timer begins counting down when it initially touches an object. This countdown is paused when it is falling and resumes when it lands. When throwing a Splat Bomb down at an opponent, it is recommended to first bounce the Splat Bomb off a ledge to begin the countdown timer, thereby giving the opponent less time to react when the Bomb touches the ground.
- Splat Bombs can force enemy players to come out of hiding from behind walls or on top of ledges.
At a range of 0.75 or closer, this weapon will do 180 damage. Below 1.5 range, it deals significantly lower damage of 30. Any distance beyond that will not hurt the enemy.
|0 - .75||.75 - 1.5||1.5+|
|“||These ink-filled pyramid-shaped explosives operate on a time-delayed fuse. Once tossed, they bounce around for a few seconds before exploding, spreading ink over a wide area. This allows them to be bounced around corners, rolled down inclines, or skipped across platforms. While the delayed fuse allows for a variety of deployment techniques, it also gives opponents time to get away. For best results, toss Splat Bombs in areas where opponents are unlikely to see them until it's too late, such as the base of ramps. Splat Bombs only explode on the ground and will not detonate in mid-air.||”|
— Splatoon Prima Guide
Ink Management In-depth
As Splat Bombs can be used to herd an opponent into a vulnerable position, it is important to be able to continue firing after using the bomb and fully capitalize on the battlefield control provided by the Splat Bomb. The 70% ink consumed by the Splat Bomb makes it desirable to use the ink management abilities Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Saver (Sub). The charts below show the combinations needed to achieve particular shot counts after using a Splat Bomb. Alternatively, a combination of Ink Recovery Up and Ink Saver (Sub) is useful if the player just wants to throw more bombs, as opposed to throwing a bomb and then using the main weapon. After deploying a Splat Bomb, there is a one-second delay before ink can be refilled again. With three mains and two subs of Ink Saver (Sub), two Splat Bombs may be deployed with one full ink tank.
An Inkling throwing a Splat Bomb
A female Inkling tossing a Splat Bomb in Urchin Underpass
Agent 3's version of the Splat Bomb
Concept art of various sub weapons, with the Splat Bomb in the bottom middle
Splat Bombs look almost identical to how they did in the first game, however, the colors have been changed from green, light green, and red to purple, light purple, and a dark shade of lime green. They will always explode on contact with the Rainmaker shield, brella shields, Bubble Blower bubbles, Splash Walls, data points, zapfish shields and lifesavers.
|“||A bomb that explodes a short while after hitting the ground.
The explosion can both defeat enemies and ink the surrounding area.
— Splatoon 2 Sub & Special Guide
A render of an Inkling with Splat Bombs in Splatoon 2
- Splat Bombs are the most common sub weapon, as they are included in 17 weapon sets in Splatoon and 15 weapon sets in Splatoon 2.
- The Splat Bomb was the first playable sub weapon, available during the E3 2014 Splatoon demo.
- The Splat Bomb was originally called the "Splatter Bomb" or "Ink Bomb", as seen in an image from before Splatoon's release.
Names in other languages
|French (NOE)||Bombe splash||Splash bomb|
|Italian||Bomba splash||Splash bomb|
|Spanish (NOA)||Plasbomba||From plasma (plasma) and bomba (bomb)|
|Spanish (NOE)||Bomba básica||Basic bomb|