The Ink Mine is an explosive that can be placed on the floor directly under the Inkling who placed it. It is invisible to enemies, unless they have the Bomb Sniffer ability. If any members of the opposing team walk on or stand near the Ink Mine, it will explode in a burst of ink. After a period of time, if no enemies have come near the Ink Mine, it will explode. It will also explode if it is covered in the enemy's ink.
Ink Mines last 10 seconds before detonating on their own, and will detonate in one second if triggered. Each Ink Mine uses 50% of the ink tank's capacity. It deals 180 damage to opponents caught directly in the blast, and 30 damage to those near the blast.
|“||These devices are placed on the ground and remain in place until they explode. Ink Mines are triggered by enemy movement, but they will also explode on their own if enemy movement hasn't been detected within approximately ten seconds. Drop Ink Mines in high-traffic chokepoints where enemy movement is guaranteed- paths leading out of the opposing team's spawn point are effective. They're also effective when dropped at the top of heavily traversed walls. To avoid getting surprised by enemy Ink Mines, stay within friendly ink. When coated with your team's ink, an enemy Ink Mine will become visible and explode, spreading enemy ink over a wide area. So keep your distance from these mines, even when you've uncovered one.||”|
— Splatoon Prima guide
- When detonated on top of the tower, the Ink Mine will completely cover the tower in ink and annihilate any enemy players standing on top of it.
- Consider using Ink Mines where enemies are most likely to be, such as in the Splat Zones or in the path of a pursuing player.
- Bomb Sniffer allows players to see this otherwise hidden weapon.
- ▲ Ink consumption: 60% → 50%
- ▲ An Ink Mine can be set when one has already been placed.
- Note: Placing the second Ink Mine will cause the first unexploded one to disappear.
- ▲ Reduced the distance the player is moved backwards when placing an Ink Mine
Ink Mines now deal much less damage, but up to two mines can now be placed at once. If anyone hit by a mine survives, their position will be temporarily marked as if they were exposed to a Point Sensor, though with a base duration of 5 seconds instead of the Point Sensor's 8 seconds.
Ink Mines do not detonate on their own, so they will remain on the battlefield until triggered. Each Ink Mine uses 60% of the ink tank's capacity. It deals 35 damage to opponents caught directly in the blast, and 20 damage to those near the blast.
- ▼ Direct Hit Damage: 180 → 35
- ▼ Splash Damage: 30 → 20
- ▲ Duration: 10s → ∞
- ▲ Anyone hit by the mine will have their position tagged.
- ▲ Sub Power Up now also increases the duration of time opponents remain marked.
- ▲ With the R button pressed and held, player is now able to go into squid form immediately by pressing ZL, even before the Ink Mine has been fully set.
- Ink Mines are made by the Custom brand.
- In Splatoon, Ink Mines are the least common sub weapon in Splatoon, included in just five weapon sets.
- There are no Splatlings or Sloshers with the Ink Mine as their sub weapon.
An Inkling placing an Ink Mine.
Official art of an Inkling with a Ink Mine and an Aerospray RG.
Another with a New Squiffer.
Ink Mine placed on the floor in Humpback Pump Track.
Ink Mine is activated in Humpback Pump Track.
Names in other languages
|French (NOA)||Mine d'encre||Ink Mine|
|Spanish (NOA)||Mina de tinta||Ink Mine|
|Spanish (NOE)||Bomba Trampa||Trap Bomb|