The Tri-Stringer resembles a bow and arrow or a miniature ballista but made out of parts of a fishing rod, including a reel and string. The reel is attached to a mechanism including three tubes, with the one in the center resembling a pump. The tubes and the string change color to match the player's ink.
When the Tri-Stringer is fired with a tap of , it launches three projectiles of ink, each dealing 30 damage. The Tri-Stringer can shoot horizontally or vertically, depending on whether the user is jumping or not (in either case, the projectiles will travel in an arc and can be used to easily target areas behind cover). The Tri-Stringer is also capable of charging its shots and incorporates elements of both chargers and splatlings. Like chargers, the weapon has a telltale glow when charged and fires once for each release of . However, unlike chargers, there is no visible laser sight, making it difficult to tell where a Tri-Stringer user is aiming. Much like splatlings, however, the weapon also possesses two rings indicating its charge: these signify the points at which its shots become strongest and fly furthest & closest together, respectively. To fire the weapon, the user pulls back on the string, which changes color depending on the user's ink, and then releases it after a short period.
If the weapon has been charged sufficiently (at least one ring of charge), the Tri-Stringer will shoot three projectiles resembling frozen popsicles which will explode after a few seconds. The ink tanks on the weapon and the bowstring seem to light up for a short period after being fired.
It appears in 6 missions in Alterna:
- The String's the Thing
- Splash the Block Party
- Barriers! They've Got You Covered
- One-Way Ride through Target Town
- Shooter on Rails
- Breathe In, Breathe Out
- The Tri-Stringer is a middleweight weapon.
- The matchmaking range is 25. The game's matchmaking system looks at a team's average matchmaking range value, and matches them against a team with a similar average.
- Ink consumption scales with charge level. It starts at 5% of the ink tank at no charge, 6% of the ink tank at one charge circle, and 8.5% of the ink tank at full charge.
- The Tri-Stringer cannot store its charge.
- If charged to the first circle or higher, the shots become explosive.
- The shots explode after 45 frames (0.75 seconds), dealing 30 damage to players with a 2.0 unit radius.
- The weapon cannot fire until it has charged for 9 frames. The first circle is reached after charging for 30 frames (0.5 seconds), and full charge is reached after 72 frames (1.2 seconds).
- After firing, there is a delay before another shot can be charged. This delay is 12 frames at no charge, 15 frames at one charge circle, and 15 frames at full charge.
- The delay between firing a shot (charged or uncharged) and submerging in ink is 10 frames.
- When charging while out of ink, the amount of time it takes to charge is multiplied by 3. When charging in the air, the time it takes to charge is also multiplied by 3.
- The movement speed while charging is set to 0.068 units per frame.
- Initial shot velocity scales with charge level. It starts at 2.1 units per frame at no charge, 2.1 units per frame at one charge circle, and 3.85 at full charge.
- Shots travel straight for 4 frames, regardless of charge level.
- The effective range is 12.83 units at no charge, 12.83 units at one charge circle, and 23.52 units at full charge.
- This number represents the range in which the crosshair changes shape when placed over an enemy. However, since stringer weapons do not have damage falloff, these numbers are otherwise arbitrary.
- Damage scales with charge level. It starts at 30 damage at no charge, 35 damage at one charge circle, and 35 at full charge.
- Arrow angle changes with charge level. It starts at 8.0 degrees at no charge, 8 at one charge circle, and 0 degrees at full charge.
- The arrows fire 0.4 units apart from each other.
|Salmon Run Next Wave:
I am so excited to share this new weapon tech with you. Behold the Tri-Stringer—a stringer-type weapon that fires in three directions at once! Press while standing or running, and the ink will fire horizontally. Press while jumping for a shot that's concentrated vertically. The flexibility is unparalleled! And that's not even the best part. You can hold down to charge a shot! The ink will fly farther AND explode if it hits a wall or the floor. I could go on all day about stringers, but I should mention that the Toxic Mist sub is great for keeping enemies at bay, or at least slowing them down. And for enemies that you can't even reach with a charged shot, you've got the Killer Wail 5.1 with supersonic range at your disposal. I hope you'll give one of the new stringers a try!
|Behold! We've captured footage of a stringer type weapon. This is the Tri-Stringer, which can fire in three directions simultaneously and unleash charged shots that briefly freeze before exploding. Our lab is hoping to obtain one of these for further
- Main article: Badge#Weapon freshness
|4★ Tri-Stringer User
|5★ Tri-Stringer User
An Inkling holding the Tri-Stringer
The Tri-Stringer being fired while jumping
The Tri-Stringer being fired by an Inkling jumping on a grate
The Tri-Stringer charging its shot
The Inkling furthest to the left is holding the Tri-Stringer.
An Inkling readying the Tri-Stringer to fire
Key art with the Tri-Stringer
Horizontal key art with the Tri-Stringer
Icon with the Tri-Stringer
Render of an Inkling with the Tri-Stringer
An Octoling using the Tri-Stringer
Held by the Inkling on the right
Splat logo on the Tri-Stringer despite being made by another brand.
Tri-Stringer model rotating (link to file)
Inkling with the Tri-Stringer shoots strings of ink. (link to file)
For competitive tips about the Tri-Stringer
|View the strategy page.
- The Tri-Stringer was originally shown in pre-release footage to have Splat Bombs and the Trizooka as its kit before it was changed to Toxic Mist and the Killer Wail 5.1. Its previous kit was given to the Clash Blaster.
- The Tri-Stringer was one of the 26 weapons available to use in the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premiere.
- It is the only weapon in the stringer class featured in this event.
- Before the release of Splatoon 3, the Tri-Stringer was unable to shoot explosive arrows and had the ability to store its charge. These abilities were instead given to the REEF-LUX 450.
- When all three shots from one charge of the weapon hit a single opponent, a special hit sound effect plays, accompanied by a visible flash.
Names in other languages
|From calamaro ("squid") + arco ("bow")
|From три tri ("three" or "tri"), тетива tetiva ("string") and ending -атор -ator
|From arco ("bow") and cromatizador ("chromatizer")
sānfā lièyúgōng (Mandarin)
|Three-Shot Fishing Bow
sānfā lièyúgōng (Mandarin)
|Three-Shot Fishing Bow