- This article is about the shield. For the weapon that the shield protects, see Rainmaker (weapon). For the mode it is used in, see Rainmaker.
The Rainmaker shield, or Rainmaker barrier, is a protective bubble surrounding the Rainmaker. Players must attack the shield to pop it and reach the Rainmaker weapon. As the player attacks it, the Rainmaker shield grows in size and changes to the player's ink color. Attacking a shield enlarged by enemy ink shrinks it back towards its neutral state; thus, if opposing players are dealing equal damage to the shield, no progress is made. After enough damage is dealt to the shield by one team, it explodes and releases a blast of ink that is lethal to any member of the opposing team who is standing too close, dealing 900 damage. Players of either team may then pick up the unshielded Rainmaker regardless of which team popped its shield. A player touching the Rainmaker shield receives 10.0 damage every three frames.
If a player carrying the Rainmaker falls out of bounds or into the water, or if the Rainmaker is left untouched for too long after the shield is broken, the Rainmaker shield always respawns in its original state in the center of the map.
Popping the shield
The Rainmaker shield has 1000 HP, but many weapon types have a damage multiplier applied when they hit the shield. The multiplier values are detailed in the tables below.
Roller-type weapons such as the Splat Roller or Inkbrush cannot deal any damage to the shield by rolling towards it.
Bomb sub weapons instantly detonate on contact with the shield.
The damage multipliers each weapon has against the Rainmaker shield are detailed below.
|Other sub weapons||×2 (?)|
|Other special weapons||×2 (?)|
With Damage Up
Unlike against Inklings, weapons do not have a damage cap when hitting the Rainmaker shield with Damage Up buffs. This means that Damage Up can be used to pop the shield faster than normal. The time gains for each weapon can be seen in the charts below.
The Object Shredder ability increases damage output against the Rainmaker shield by 10%. The damage multipliers each weapon has against the Rainmaker shield are detailed below.
|E-liter 4K (full charge)||2.3×|
|Explosher (direct hit)||3.6×|
|Bubble Blower||1×||0.5 per frame (Contact)|
50 (Min. Splash)
|Ink Storm||5×||2 per frame|
1.8 per frame (direct)
|Baller (explode)||2.5×||137.5 (splash)|
450 (direct hit)
|Inkjet||2.8×||84 (Min. Splash)|
|Splashdown||5×||275 (Min. Splash)|
|Ultra Stamp (Stamp)||3×||120 (stamp splash)|
300 (stamp direct hit)
|Ultra Stamp (Throw)||3.5×||105 (throw min. splash)|
210 (throw splash)
Touching the Rainmaker shield with Defense Up.
- The Rainmaker shield behaves as a shield in Octo Valley which carries the Zapfish, but the shield does not respawn nor carries a Zapfish.
- The shield only respawns when the current player falls into water or out of bounds or gets splatted by an opponent.
- The Rainmaker shield is used in many out-of-bounds glitches. Place a Squid Beakon next to a wall, then splat the Rainmaker next to a Beakon. Super Jump to the Beakon and the player will clip into the wall.
- The Rainmaker shield can be targeted by Tenta Missiles.