Hyperbombs are large ink bombs that resemble Suction Bombs with a relatively shorter canister and markings of Marina's face on them. Marina was working on creating them during the events of the Octo Expansion. She utilises Off the Hook's fleet of helicopters to drop them to stop the NILS Statue from absorbing enough sunlight to power up its laser by using the bombs to cover it in ink during the three minutes it has left to charge. However, she notes that "they're still prototypes", so Agent 8 is forced to traverse around the statue and manually detonate all of them by hitting them with their Octo Shot and/or Splat Bombs within the time limit.
During the final battle, the NILS Statue is marked in advance with Marina's octopus symbol, marking the locations where the thirty hyperbombs will land, allowing the player to plan their attacks. The hyperbombs are dropped on the statue in the following order: at the start, five light-blue ones on its chest; at thirty seconds, five green ones on its neck; at one minute, five yellow ones on its back; at one and a half minutes, five purple ones on its right arm; and at two minutes, ten dark-blue ones on its head. Once landed, the hyperbombs are visible through walls and emit a beam of light, allowing them to be spotted. The 3D map on the top-left of the screen also marks how many hyperbombs have been detonated in each of the five groups.
While the first two groups of hyperbombs are easily accessible, later groups require the use of ride rails and Grapplinks. All thirty bombs must be detonated within the time limit for the player to succeed. Even if the player detonates all of them within the time limit, they must survive on the statue until the three minutes are up.
Hyperbombs make their only multiplayer appearance on MC.Princess Diaries, the final Shifty Station used for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest. Alongside appearances from Off the Hook and the Princess Cannon, three groups of hyperbombs appear, at the 2:45, 1:30 and 0:15 marks. These hyperbombs are slightly larger than normal, take significantly more damage to detonate, and are colored in each team's ink color. Players can only detonate the other team's bombs, and while they do not appear on the map, they still leave a silhouette on the stage itself.
- Hyperbombs heavily resemble the giant Suction Bombs used by DJ Octavio and Callie in the Tide Goes Out mission of Octo Canyon.
- Upon questioning how hyperbombs got their name, Pearl asks why they were not named 'princessbombs', reflecting her online username of MC.Princess. This is a parallel to how Marina named them after her online name of DJ Hyperfresh.
- The hyperbomb will play the first notes of Color Pulse when activated, with the glissando replacing the normal audio cue for standard suction bombs, and the actual explosion serving as the orchestra hit.
- The hyperbomb also resembles an flipped-over propane canister.
- The eyes on the hyperbomb resemble Marina's eyes from the posters on Arowana Mall
In localized versions of the speech played while the player is waiting for the time to run out at the end of the Turf War, it is revealed that hyperbombs are named after Marina's online username, DJ_Hyperfresh. In the Japanese version of the speech, Marina changes the name to "Elegant, Dramatic, and Amazing" bomb, calling it "E-DA" bomb for short, after her Japanese online username, DJ E-DA.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Nordigno||Marina's contraption (Nori=Marina)|
|Spanish||Bomba MRN||Hyperfresh bomb|