Turf War (Octo Expansion)
Turf War is the final boss of the Octo Expansion.
The player has three minutes to shoot the hyperbombs Marina drops onto the NILS Statue and stop Commander Tartar from destroying Inkopolis. The hyperbombs are added to different locations on the statue and first appear after a certain amount of time has passed. These are as follows:
- At 3:00, five hyperbombs in light blue will drop at the chest area of the statue.
- At 2:30, five hyperbombs in green will drop at the neck.
- At 2:00, five hyperbombs in yellow will drop at the back.
- At 1:30, five hyperbombs in pink will drop at the right arm.
- At 1:00, ten hyperbombs in dark blue will drop at the head.
Due to the statue's sheer size, the map of the stage is displayed on the screen during the battle as opposed to being viewed when pressing and rotates around depending on where the player is compared to the usual maps that have a fixed view. Hyperbomb locations will be marked on the map as they are dropped and can be seen through walls, and a tally of the hyperbombs that have been activated will be listed so the player can keep track of how many are left.
If the player gets splatted or fails to detonate all of the hyperbombs in time, the option to skip the final boss battle becomes instantly available, filling the Skip Charge to 100%, where the following dialogue will be displayed if the player skips:
- The start of the boss battle displays a screen similar to the start of a multiplayer match (complete with a minor-key version of the Splatfest match start theme), with Turf War being the mode, "Defend Inkopolis from ultimate doom!" being the objective and the NILS Statue being the stage.
- If the player fails to activate all the bombs before the time runs out or falls into the water, the game continues to show the aftermath, where the NILS Statue destroys Inkopolis with characters reacting to it. The image of Inkopolis getting covered by the goo from the laser is viewed from the same angle as the start-up screen.
- This is the first time in the Splatoon series where the consequences of the player failing a final boss are shown.
- After detonating the last hyperbomb, supporting characters will continue to make comments until there is no time left for the next line to be displayed in full.
- To view all the comments, players need to detonate all bombs with approximately 28 seconds left or more.
- When Pearl fires off the Killer Wail to counter the laser from Commander Tartar, a screen displaying the turf percentages pops up, identical to the prompt that appears at the end of a Turf War, where Pearl wins by 888.8%, resulting in the meter that shows the percentages breaking, similar to a Ranked Battle meter.
- The meter cracks and breaks in sync with the music.
- During Pearl's Killer Wail, Octoballs can be seen flying out of the NILS statue despite the fact they are not seen anywhere in Splatoon 2.
- The mission's objective text that is displayed after the battle begins, being "Ink to save the world!", is only displayed in the first attempt of fighting the boss and is not shown again when choosing to retry it after failing. This is the case for subsequent replays of the escape sequence post-game as well.
- The place that the battle happens is known as Inkopolis Sea. In the background of the startup screen, it is just about possible to see Inkopolis Tower and Deca Tower.
- In the Latin American version during the rap battle, Pearl says: "Los licantropos no pueden contra los vampiros"(The werewolfs cannot fight against vampires), referring to the Vampire vs. Werewolf Splatfest, which Team Vampire (Pearl's team) won.
The quotes that are spoken during gameplay:
Marina: Hyperbombs incoming! Dropping five on its chest!
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Let's go! INK IT UP!
Tartar: Bzrrt... Submit to your destruction. Your time is over, semi-sentient seafood.
Marina: Nice work! I'll fire at the neck next! Gimme a sec...
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Agent 8! Take a break near the point on its neck!
Marina: Thirty seconds! Dropping five around its neck!
Tartar: BZRRT! You will be blended up into the raw material of the new world!
Marina: Ok—time to aim for its back! Recalibrating...
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Ya hear that, Agent 8? Move on over to its back!
Marina: Sixty seconds! Dropping five on its back!
Tartar: B-b-zrrt... This world will be reconstituted, and the professor's dream fulfilled.
Marina: Preparing to fire at its arm! Hold on a minute...
Pearl: Yo, Eight! Get to the statue's right arm. Stay focused and don't mess up!
Marina: Ninety seconds! Dropping five on its right arm!
Tartar: B-BZRRT... Cease, number 10,008! You cannot hope to defeat NILS!
Marina: Nice! Last stop—head! Hold on a second...
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Use the ride rail and head for its head!
Marina: Two minutes—this is it! Dropping 10 on its head!
Tartar: B-B-ZRRT! The time is nigh, NILS! THIS WORLD MUST BE PULVERIZED!
Marina: Thirty seconds until it unleashes enough energy to destroy the entire world!
Pearl: There's one hyperbomb left!
The additional comments made after all hyperbombs have been detonated:
Marina: The statue has stopped charging!
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Agent 8! Stay there until we're ready!
Pearl: I'm just about warmed up...
Pearl: Your hyperbombs are cool, Marina, but...
why didn't you name them princessbombs?
Marina: Um...because I invented them?
Marina: DJ_Hyperfresh spinning beats like ZOOM!
See my hyperbombs blowing up like BOOM!
Cap'n Cuttlefish: Whoa...
(Iida: The NELS statue has stopped charging!)
アタリメ司令: 8号! こっちの準備ができるまで、そこで待っとれィ!
(Captain Atarime: Agent 8! Stay there until we're ready!)
ヒメ: テンション、そろそろ いいゾ!
(Hime: My hype's almost ready!)
(Hime: Still... dontcha think the "Iida bomb" name's too obvious?)
イイダ: Elegantで Dramatic、かつ Amazingなボム
(Iida: Elegant, Dramatic, and Amazing bomb...)
イイダ: 略したら『E-DA』ボムに なっちゃったんですよ～
(Iida: It just became "E-DA" bomb for short~!)
アタリメ司令: フォーッ!! 名は体を表しとるのゥ!!
(Captain Atarime: Whoa!! Its name captures its essence!!)
Marina: ¡La efigie pastificadora dejó de acumular energía!
(Marina: The NELS Statue stopped accumulating energy!)
Capitán Jibión: ¡Aguanta ahí hasta que estemos listos!
(Cap'n Cuttlefish: Hang in there until we're ready!)
Perla: Estoy tensando las cuerdas vocales...
(Pearl: I'm tightening my vocal cords...)
Perla: Oye, y ¿por qué "bombas MRN"? ¿Por qué no "bombas Princesa"?
(Pearl: Hey, why "Hyperbombs"? Why not "Princessbombs"?)
Marina: Pues... ¿porque las inventé yo?
(Marina: Well... because I invented them?)
Marina: ¡DJ MRN con las bombas que explotan! ¡Traigo tantas que nunca se agotan!
(Marina: DJ Hyperfresh with the bombs that explode! I bring so much that they never run out!)
Capitán Jibión: Impresionante...
(Cap'n Cuttlefish: Impressive...)
Names in other languages
塗って 塗って 塗りたくれッ！
Nawabari batoru (battle)
Kyodaina teki kara nawabari o mamore!
Nutte nutte nuritakure-!
Defend your turf from a gigantic enemy!
Ink, ink, ink it up!
Verdedig je territorium tegen een reusachtige vijand!
Houd je hoofd boven water
Defend your territory against a gigantic enemy!
Keep your head above water[note 1]
|French||Guerre de territoire
Dispute son territoire au colosse !
Balance de l'encre à fond les ballons !
Fight for territory at the colossus!
Spray ink extremely fast!
Verteidige dein Revier gegen einen gigantischen Gegner!
Färben, färben und noch mehr färben!
Defend your turf against a gigantic enemy!
Color, color and color even more!
Difendi il tuo territorio da un enorme nemico!
Inchiostra a più non polpo!
Defend your territory from a huge enemy!
Ink as much as octopossible![note 2]
|Spanish (NOA)||Combate territorial
Conquista el territorio de un enemigo colosal.
Entinta sin parar.
Conquer the turf of a colossal enemy.
Ink without stopping.
- Het hoofd boven water houden (and variations of it) is a Dutch phrase for "to stand one's ground".
- A più non posso means as much as possible, while polpo means octopus.
- North America
Octo Expansion Stations