Rollers are one of the main weapon classifications in the Splatoon series. When the is pressed, the player flings ink from their roller, which can be used for attacking opponents at medium range. If the player keeps holding down the button, the user will hold the roller down, spreading ink on the floor as they run. Rolling into enemies with most rollers will instantly splat them. Since Splatoon 2, all rollers have a vertical swing attack that is triggered by flinging after jumping, which flings longer but more narrow path of ink for long-range attacks or creating a swimming path.
- Main article: Brush
Brushes are roller-like weapons with rapid-but-weaker swing attack (without any long-range attack mode) and faster running speed when "rolling" that leaves a thinner trail of ink. Prior to Splatoon 3, they are classified as rollers.
List of rollers
Note: The series are arranged by the order of their respective Tableturf Battle cards.
|A light, mobile roller that has a fast rolling speed. It has extremely fast flicks in exchange for a short range. It is unable to crush opponents in one hit.||Carbon Roller||✓||✓||✓|
|Carbon Roller Deco||✓||✓||✓|
|The standard roller. It has decent range and mobility.||Splat Roller||✓||✓||✓|
|Krak-On Splat Roller||✓||✓||✓|
|CoroCoro Splat Roller||✓|
|Kensa Splat Roller||✓|
|Hero Roller Replica||✓||✓|
|A heavy roller. It deals high damage and can throw ink farther than all other rollers. However, it is very slow and consumes the most ink of any roller.||Dynamo Roller||✓||✓||✓|
|Gold Dynamo Roller||✓||✓||✓|
|Tempered Dynamo Roller||✓|
|Kensa Dynamo Roller||✓|
|A roller that changes shape when performing a vertical swing. Its horizontal swing and rolling capabilities are similar to that of the Splat Roller, while its vertical swing is slow but has better range, inking, and damage.||Flingza Roller||✓||✓|
|Foil Flingza Roller||✓|
Big Swig Roller
|A roller with exceptional inking capabilities and wider range. It is extremely ink efficient and fast while rolling. Its swings are somewhat quick but tend to be weaker compared to other rollers. It cannot splat opponents with a single horizontal swing, and it cannot crush opponents in one hit.||Big Swig Roller||✓|
|Big Swig Roller Express||✓|
- Both genders sway their weapon side to side a few times before posing while resting the weapon on their shoulder.
- Both genders rest their weapon on their shoulder while shaking their head in disappointment.
In Ammo Knights (Clicking ):
- Inkling Girl:
- Inkling Boy:
Spawning in before a match starts:
- Both Inklings and Octolings hold their weapon over their shoulder.
- Inkling Girl: Does a few stretches while holding her weapon before positioning it behind her back.
- Inkling Boy: Does a "pop-off" while resting his weapon on his shoulder before striking a pose.
- Octoling Girl: Raises her weapon off the ground to rest it on her shoulder before wiping her forehead and striking a pose.
- Octoling Boy: Similar to the Octoling Girl's, but instead ends with pointing his thumb towards his chest.
- Both Inkling genders hold their weapon on the ground while holding their head in disappointment, while pausing to shake their head.
- Octoling Girl: Holds her hand up to her face, falls forward and shakes her head, before looking up while winking.
- Octoling Boy: Shakes his fist, kneels down and shakes his head, before looking up and winking.
In Ammo Knights (Clicking ):
- Inklings: Raises their weapon up and down while looking it over, puts roller on the ground as if to start rolling, before returning to idle position.
- Octolings: Holds their roller out in front of them and bounces it twice, looks weapon over from behind, raises the weapon up and brings it down into a crouched position before returning to idle.
- All styles: Rests their weapon on their shoulder while standing up straight.
- Flip Out: Jumps over the weapon and kicks it up, swapping hands to rest it over their shoulder while slightly crouched.
- Reppin' Inkopolis: The player gleefully swings their weapon from side to side, hoists it over their right shoulder, and puts their hand on their hip.
|“||Squid Research Lab here, rolling out a report on rollers! These versatile weapons can lay down a wide path of ink on the ground or fling it forward for a more traditional attack. Warning: do NOT paint your apartment with one. (A "friend" lost their security deposit that way.)||”|
— @SplatoonNA on Twitter
- Splatting by rolling over enemies will change the splat cam message from "splatted" to "squished" (Splatoon) or "crushed" (Splatoon 2 or Splatoon 3).
- Ink flung from any roller will glow before it lands. This is often difficult to see, however, due to bright lighting in some areas and the small amount of time for which the ink is in the air.
- There are no rollers with Point Sensor, Toxic Mist, Fizzy Bomb, or Disruptor as their sub weapon.
- In Splatoon, the Carbon Roller Deco has a unique special weapon, the Seeker Bomb Rush.
- However, no main weapon in Splatoon 2 has a unique special weapon.
- In the corner of the Shooting Range are some parts for a roller, most likely a Splat Roller.
- Due to the large size of rollers, parts of them will sometimes go through walls as they are being pushed.
- Rollers are not affected by Run Speed Up when they are rolling.
- However, the effect is active while running, flicking or doing both at the same time.
- According to Sheldon, rollers began as unofficial weapons but were eventually made official due to their popularity.
The Splat Roller.
The Krak-On Splat Roller.
The Hero Roller Replica.
The Dynamo Roller.
The Gold Dynamo Roller.
The Carbon Roller.
The Carbon Roller Deco.
A pre-release image of Inklings at Camp Triggerfish, showing that rollers were originally held differently when not in use.
Some roller parts in the Shooting Range.
Using a vertical swing in Splatoon 2.
Inkling Boy with a roller from Splatoon 2.
Promo renders for Splatoon 2
Promotional renders for Splatoon 3
Tableturf Battle cards for Splatoon 3
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Roller||Same as English|
|German||Roller||Same as English|
|Horizontal swing||Vertical swing|