Canned specials in the Splatoon series have the appearance of real-world tin cans used for storing food. They are short and cylindrical, with a label wrapped around the side depending on the contents, and a pull-off tab on the top. They appear in Octo Valley, Octo Canyon, the Octo Expansion, and Return of the Mammalians.
- Bomb Rush: The Bomb Rush canned special has a mostly yellow label with green accents. It features an image of a Splat Bomb, and its background is an image of multiple falling Splat Bombs, arranged in a pattern. Upon acquiring this can, Agent 3 can rapidly deploy their current sub weapon.
- Bubbler: The Bubbler canned special has a mainly dark pink label with blue accents. It features an image of a male Inkling encased in a white, sparkling Bubbler. The label also includes yellow Inkling text layered over the image. Upon activating this Can, Agent 3 is able to use the Bubbler, an impenetrable shield.
- Inkzooka: The Inkzooka canned special has a primarily green label with three large, red, vertical stripes, which appear to include a string of Inkling text. It features an image of an Inkzooka. Upon acquiring this Can, Agent 3 can utilize the Inkzooka.
A Bubbler canned special in Undeniable Flying Object.
- Octo Canyon: The cans found in Octo Canyon have a mainly green label with darker green stains giving it a camouflage pattern. It features Ammo Knights' logo and name in Inkling with yellow and black-outlined letters.
- Octo Expansion: These cans have a mostly blue label with a thick white border on the bottom and a black square covering up both colors. From right to left, the blue part of the label features white icons with the Hero Shot and a black bar underneath it, a Splat Bomb, the Hero Shot with a Splat Bomb underneath it, and a fourth icon, using the same black and yellow, which does not represent anything. Underneath the icons is black text in Inkling that looks like a list of nutritional values. Underneath that, in the white border, are black icons of a triangle pointing down, two arrows, which likely represent that the can is recyclable, and what looks like a bar code. The black square has the Kamabo Corporation's logo in white and a small yellow swallowtail flag in the right corner.
Multiple canned specials in Girl Power Station from Octo Expansion.
Canned specials return in Splatoon 3 in Return of the Mammalians, functioning identically to the previous two games. If the player is equipped with the Hero Gear when picking up a canned special, the special weapon replaces their Splashdown until it is used. Every special weapon in the game appears as a canned special in at least one mission, with the exceptions of Booyah Bomb, Tacticooler, Big Bubbler, Kraken Royale and Super Chump.
Canned specials in Alterna have a mostly yellow label with a thick white border on the bottom and a black square with the Cuttlegear logo. From right to left, the yellow part of the label features black and white icons depicting the Crab Tank, Big Bubbler, Ultra Stamp, and Trizooka (despite the Big Bubbler not appearing in cans). The white border has the same icons as the version from the Octo Expansion.
Missions that heavily feature canned specials
- Get to Know Alterna, Your Only Choice: The player must use a canned Trizooka to splat two Shielded Octotroopers and an Inkfurler that are out of range of their other weapons.
- Enter the Stamp Gauntlet: If the player chooses not to equip a weapon, they are provided with a large number of canned Ultra Stamps to complete the mission with.
- Alterna Space Center Hangar: The player is provided with a variety of canned specials with which to splat large groups of enemies that are designed to be vulnerable to that particular special. This stage features the only canned Splashdown that appears in the game.
- The Spirit Lifter: First Class: The player finds a canned Zipcaster with unlimited duration that they must use to traverse the stage and collect energy cores.
- After Alterna: Every type of canned special (except Splashdown) appears in the final section.
- A Bubbler can stacked on top of a Bomb Rush can can be seen on the desk of Splatoon's Splash Screen.
- Despite canned specials in Return of the Mammalians having a new design, the canned special locker decoration available from Hotlantis and the Shell-Out Machine features the label from the Octo Expansion.
Names in other languages
Supesharu Uepon Kanzume
Canned special weapon
|French||Boîte de conserve|
|Canned food «Special»|
|Special can [a]|
Tèshū guàntóu (Mandarin)
dak6 syu4 gun3 tau4 (Cantonese)
|Special can [a]|
|Korean||스페셜 통조림||Special canned food|
- 特殊 tèshū can only be an adjective, meaning "special"