The Hero Suit is the outfit worn by the protagonist in Octo Valley, the story mode of Splatoon. It is worn at all times in Octo Valley, replacing any multiplayer gear, and can be upgraded to increase Ink Tank capacity.
The Hero Suit is comprised of three parts: the Hero Headset, the Hero Jacket, and the Hero Runners.
The Headset has a pair of earpieces with large pointed shapes jutting out to the sides connected by two thin bars that curve around the back of the head. The shapes on the earpieces are flat triangles, despite appearing conical from the front. The headset is mostly black with small sections of lime green on the earpieces, which also have glowing blue lights.
The Jacket is form-fitting and black with a large collar and a bright yellow safety vest worn on top. At the wearer's left hip hangs two small accessories, one gray and squid-shaped with a light blue outline that seems to glow, and the other red, oval-shaped, and reflective. It is unknown what purpose these items serve.
The Runners are a pair of black sneakers with lime green accents. They have a black strap halfway down and blue lights at the top that create small trails behind the wearer as they move.
Also included with the Hero Suit is a unique Ink Tank. Instead of the usual caps with varying shades of green, it has smooth, dark gray caps with a lighter gray check pattern. The lines on the Ink Tank change color depending on its upgrades:
- No upgrades: Blue lines
- One upgrade: Purple lines
- Two upgrades: Yellow lines
- Three upgrades: Green lines
- According to the developers, the suit is designed to look like a firefly squid.
- Replica pieces of the Hero Suit can be obtained for multiplayer. These include the Hero Headset Replica, the Hero Jacket Replica, and the Hero Runner Replicas. The Hero Jacket Replica does not include the Hero Suit's Ink Tank, instead using the standard multiplayer one.