Splatoon Global Testfire
The Splatoon Global Testfire was a free Splatoon demo available on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U. It allowed players to engage in free four-versus-four Turf War battles at scheduled times ahead of the release of the game. It was available for download before the scheduled times, but server connection was not possible beforehand. The application was made unavailable for download afterwards.
During the Global Testfire, players were able to customize their Inklings and enter a tutorial area where they could pop balloons and get accustomed to the game's controls. They were then able to enter online matches of Turf War and use the Splattershot Jr., Splattershot, Splat Roller, and Splat Charger on both Saltspray Rig and Walleye Warehouse.
Players were given the option to pre-purchase Splatoon at various points in the Testfire demo. Players who pre-purchased were awarded special gear to use for the remainder of the event. The gear was only cosmetically different from the gear that regular players had access to, and had the same abilities. This gear did not carry over into the full version of the game.
Pre-purchase players were given Studio Headphones with Ink Recovery Up, a shirt that resembles White Tee and Zink Layered LS with a team-colored squid sticker and Quick Respawn, and Red Hi-Horses with Special Saver.
Squid Research Lab
During the Testfire, real-life members of the Squid Research Lab participated in battles, appearing in-game as Inklings with special research gear. The gear was only cosmetically different from the gear that regular players had access to, and had the same abilities.
Squid Research Lab gear featured a set of dark sunglasses with Ink Recovery Up, a lab coat with a large banner attached in the team color and Quick Respawn, and a pair of black dress shoes with white socks and Special Saver.
In order to ensure a sufficient number of players for the Testfire, Nintendo designated the following times to be used. Each session ran for one hour unless otherwise stated.
- 9 May 2015, 03:00 UTC
- 9 May 2015, 11:00 UTC
- 9 May 2015, 19:00 UTC
- 23 May 2015, 22:00 UTC (ran for an extra hour due to connection errors for most of the original time)
A still from the Splatoon Nintendo Direct announcing the Splatoon Global Testfire.
The members of the Squid Research Lab wearing similar attire.
- The Global Testfire application did not create any save data. Players who received pre-purchase gear lost it after closing the software.
- When the servers were shut down, players online were given the message: "A communications error occurred." They were then taken back to the title screen. However, if they were in the practice area when the servers were shut down, they were not brought back to the title screen and could stay in the area as long as they wanted.
- The digital manual for the Global Testfire application was the full game's manual.
- The exclusive Testfire gear was not present in the data of Splatoon at launch, but was added in an update. It is not available through normal gameplay, and if hacked in, all items in a set appear with the same name:
- In Splatoon 2, the Studio Octophones and Octo Layered LS were granted to players who pre-purchased the Octo Expansion DLC. This is a reference to the pre-purchase gear from the original Splatoon Global Testfire.
Names in other languages
Kansei Hirō Shishakai
|The Rollout Presentation and Testfire Ceremony. A pun of 試射 shisha, testfire and 試写会 shishakai, movie preview.|