Annie and Moe in Splatoon 3
|Hair color||Pink / Green|
|Shop||Cooler Heads (Splatoon, Splatoon 3)|
SplatNet Gear Shop (SplatNet 2, SplatNet 3)
|“||Oh, um... hello.||”|
— Annie upon the player entering Cooler Heads
Annie is a character in the Splatoon series. She is a shy sea anemone with a clownfish named Moe living in her hair. In Splatoon and Splatoon 3, she runs the headgear shop, Cooler Heads, in Booyah Base. Additionally, in Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3, she runs the SplatNet Gear Shop in SplatNet 2 and SplatNet 3, respectively.
Annie has pink tentacles with pastel green tips that serve as her hair and house Moe. Her skin is a pale beige color similar to shopkeepers like Sheldon and Flow. She has cyan eyes with hot pink pupils and baby blue sclera, along with purple eyelids and eyelashes. Annie wears a shiny indigo star-shaped accessory in her hair and black glasses. She has magenta headphones around her neck and a chartreuse jacket emblazoned with magenta and aqua-blue squids. Annie also wears a dark teal dress, orange tights with black squids on them, and black biker boots.
In Splatoon 3, Annie's tentacles are more on the pastel side. Annie wears a black hat and hoodie, underneath, she wears a green shirt with a black rim. She wears fishnet stockings and black boots. She also wears round glasses on her face.
Personality and traits
Annie has a shy personality, being extremely reserved and constantly ruminating. When speaking, she usually trails off after some time, gradually getting quieter. She experiences difficulty greeting customers, and according to Callie and Marie in the Squid Sisters Stories, she moved online to the SplatNet 2 shop because she got flustered too easily. She also sometimes helps Sheldon with decorating weapons at Ammo Knights. Despite her shyness, she has an exciting writing style, in addition to being a great artist. She is prone to having outbursts from time to time, though this is never seen in-game. She also likes metal music, and got into gothic metal sometime before Splatoon 3, which influenced her outfit in that game.
Moe the clownfish lives atop her head. He talks a big game, but he staunchly refuses to leave the safety of Annie's head.
Annie's version of DJ Lee Fish's song Lookin' Fresh has louder treble, meaning emphasized vocals and minimal percussion, giving it a weaker sound overall. This is a reflection of her shy, detached personality, as well as the fact that she sells gear for the top part of the buyer's body, hence the emphasis on the treble.
English (North America)
- "O-oh... Hello. I-I'm very sorry, but um... I'm afraid we have... a sort of rule here, you see. We don't sell to people who aren't, um, fresh enough. Once you reach, say... Level 4... I should be able to help you. Maybe you could visit the lobby and play some, um... regular battles? That might help you level up..." - When a player below Level 4 enters the shop.
- " Oh... hello. So... Welcome to Cooler Heads. Feel free to, um, look around if you want. All the gear here has, you know, abilities and stuff... If you want to know more, you could press and look at the manual. If you're into that sort of thing... " - When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "You're looking pretty fresh these days. I'll see if I have any gear to suit you..." - When entering the shop after reaching Level 5.
- "You're like...the freshest Inkling I've ever, um, seen with my eyes... I hope my gear is good enough for you..." - When entering the shop after reaching Level 15.
- "Oh... OH! Um, w-welcome to Cooler Heads and stuff... WOW! I, um... sorry. You... Y-you're just too fresh for words. Everyone's talking about you and, um, sorry..." - When a player at Level 20 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- " Oh, um...hello. You're kinda, sorta offline right now. I can't help you until you connect to the internet... " - When the player is offline.
- "Oh, um...hello."' - When the player enters the shop.
- "Y-you'll buy it...?" - When the player selects a piece of headgear.
- "Y-you'll equip it...?" - When the player purchases a piece of headgear.
- "Thanks, um, a lot! Y-you know you can tap Equip on to swap out your gear, right?" - After the player chooses whether to equip a new piece of headgear.
- "O-oh, I think you might already have that one..." - When the player tries to purchase headgear they already own.
- "Oh! Um, I'm so sorry, but... it looks like maybe you forgot your money at home... " - When the player does not have enough Cash.
English (Europe and Oceania)
- "Ahh... hello... Oh! I...I'm very sorry, but... Well, the thing is... I'm afraid we have... a sort of rule here, you see... We don't sell to people who aren't fresh enough... Maybe if you reach, say... Level 4... I might be able to help you then...? If you go to the Lobby, and play some, ermmm... Turf Wars...? That might help your level go up..."' - Annie on not being level 4.
- "Ahh...hello... Welcome to Cooler Heads... I hope you'll take a look around... All the gear here has, you know, abilities and stuff... If you want to know more, you could press [Home] and look at the manual... If you... like... "' - Annie upon entering the shop for the first time above level 4
- "Ahh... Hello."' - When the player enters the shop.
- "Y-You'll buy it...?" - When the player selects a piece of headgear.
- "Y-You'll equip it...?" - When the player purchases a piece of headgear.
- "Th...Thank you very much! Y...You know you can touch, um, equip on to equip your gear, right?" - After the player chooses whether to equip a new piece of headgear.
- "O...Oh, I think you might already have that one..." - When the player tries to purchase headgear they already own.
- "Ahhhh... I'm awfully sorry, but... It looks like you don't have quite enough money" - When the player does not have enough Cash.
When a player below Level 4 enters the shop:
- 「…ぁっ、ぃらっしゃいませぇ… …はわぁ！ すみません… ここのお店はぁ… ぁのぅ… すみません… イカしてないコには 売れない決まりで… ランク4になれば… ちょっとは イカしたコになれるかと… ロビーに行って、 ナワバリバトルを何回かすれば… ランクは 上がると思うんですぅ」
- (...Ah, w-welcome... ...Oh my! Sorry... This shop... Um... Sorry... We have a rule not to sell anything to unfresh kids... It seems you get to Level 4 and... You'll be a little fresh... You'll get your level up as you play the Turf War several times... I think.)
When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the store for the first time:
- 「…ぁっ、ぃらっしゃいませぇ おかしら堂に ようこそ… よかったら… 見て行ってくださぃ… それぞれのギアには バトルで効果を発揮する ギアパワーがついてるのでぇ… くわしくは、を押して 「？」説明書を 確認してください…」
- (...Ah, w-welcome to Cooler Heads... If you want... please take a look around... All of the gear comes with abilities that will help you in b-battle... Please press and tap 「？」 if you want to learn more...)
When the player selects a piece of clothing:
- (Are you going to buy it...?)
- When the player purchases a piece of clothing:
- (Are you going to e-equip it...?)
- After the player chooses whether to equip a new piece of clothing:
When the player does not have enough Cash:
- 「…えっ、ぁ、すぃません、 おカネ 足りなぃぽいです…」
- (...Eh, ah, s-sorry, you don't seem to have enough money...) - When the player does not have enough Cash.
|“||And here are two familiar faces - Annie and Moe from Cooler Heads, the Inkopolis headgear shop! Annie has leaned into her love of gothic metal and changed her style. She also moonlights as a sysop for SplatNet and adds decals to weapons on the side. As for Moe? Still a clown fish.||”|
— @SplatoonNA on Twitter
When a player below level 4 enters the shop:
- "O, hallootjes. Oeps, ik bedoel... Sorry. We hebben hier een regel, ehm... Ik bedoel het niet verkeerd, maar... we verkopen geen spullen aan iemand die niet... erg vers is. Eh, misschien als je niveau 4 hebt behaald... Dat je dan wel vers genoeg bent? Misschien? Doe gewoon wat Grondoorlogen in de lobby... Dan komt het wel goed. Als je daar zin in hebt, ten minste... Niks moet, alles mag..."
- (Oh, hello there. Oops, I mean... Sorry. We have a rule here, um... I mean, no offense, but... we don't sell stuff to anyone that's not... very fresh. Um, maybe if you have reached level 4... That you'll be fresh enough then? Maybe? Just do some Turf War battles in the lobby... Then you'll be fine. If you feel like it, at least.... Nothing is a must, everything is possible...)
When a player of level 4 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "O, hallootjes. Welkom in mijn winkel, Onder een Hoedje. Jij lijkt best wel vers, geloof ik. Jij mag hier best eens, eh... een kijkje nemen..."
- (Oh, hello there. Welcome to my store, Cooler Hats. You seem quite fresh, I believe. You should come and, um... take a look around...)
- "Bij Onder een Hoedje hebben we vooral veel, eh... hoedjes... En andere dingen voor op je hoofd. De spulletjes die we hier verkopen, hebben bepaalde... effecten. Daar kun je veel aan hebben tijdens gevechten. Klinkt handig. Je kunt op, eh, drukken als je meer over een artikel wilt weten. Dus vraag het niet aan mij..."
- (At Cooler Hats we especially have a lot of, um... hats... And other things for on your head. The stuff we sell here have certain... abilities. You can get a lot of use out of them during battles. Sounds handy. You can press, um, if you want to know more about an item. So don't ask me...)
When a player of level 10 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "O, hallootjes. Welkom in mijn winkel, Onder een Hoedje. Jij bent best wel heel erg, eh, vers. Wat stoer dat je hier komt winkelen. Hopelijk is onze winkel cool genoeg..."
- (Oh, hello there. Welcome to my store, Cooler Hats. You're pretty, um, fresh. How nice of you to come shopping here. Hopefully our store is cool enough...)
When a player of level 20 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "O, hallootjes. Welkom in mijn winkel, Onder een Hoedje. O wauw, jij bent, eh, verser dan eh... Noem eens iets dat heel vers is... Misschien moet ik nieuwe spullen inslaan die vers genoeg zijn voor jou..."
- (Oh, hello there. Welcome to my store, Cooler Hats. Oh wow, you're, um, fresher than um... Name something that's very fresh... Maybe I should stock up on new stuff that's fresh enough for you...)
When a player of level 30 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "O, hallootjes. Welkom in mijn winkel, Onder een Hoedje. Wa... eh... Hoe kun je ZO vers zijn? Ik... Ik weet niet of mijn winkeltje zoveel versheid wel aankan..."
- (Oh, hello there. Welcome to my store, Cooler Hats. Wha... um... How can you be SO fresh? I... I don't know if my little store can handle that much freshness...)
When spending at least 100.000 cash for the first time:
- "Wat, eh... Heb je echt... Wauwie. Ik heb wat voor je. Een badge die we bewaren voor de klanten die we, eh... het meest waarderen. Het zou best cool zijn als je die, eh, op zou willen doen, of zo... Als dat iets is dat je leuk zou vinden..."
- (What, um... Have you really... Whoa. I have something for you. A badge we keep for the customers we, um.... value the most. It would be pretty cool if you wanted to, um, put that one on, or something... If that's something you'd like...)
When spending at least 1.000.000 cash for the first time:
- "O jeetjemineetje, eh... Dit is een, eh, hele speciale badge voor onze trouwste klanten, als, eh... bedankje. Dus bedankt voor zoveel klandizie..."
- (Oh my gosh, um... This is a, um, very special badge for our most loyal customers, as a, um.... thank you. So thanks for so much patronage...)
When entering the shop without an internet connection:
- "O, hallootjes. Uh, volgens mij ben je niet helemaal online... Je kunt misschien beter even langs de lobby... Daar kun je je verbinden met het internet..."
- (Oh, hello there. Um, I don't think you're quite online... You might want to stop by the lobby... There you can connect to the internet...)
When entering the shop:
- "O, eh... hallootjes."
- (Oh, um... hello there.)
When the shop stocks a piece of already-owned headgear for the first time:
- "O, we hebben iets in de winkel dat je al hebt. Dus, eh... dan kun je de zeldzaamheid verhogen of de artikelen omruilen... Als je de zeldzaamheid verhoogt, kun je meer effectvakjes krijgen... of meer ervaringspunten verdienen. Als je je artikel omruilt, krijg je het nieuwe, met andere effecten en zo. Klinkt leuk, toch? Haha... haha... ha..."
- (Oh, we have something in the store that you already have. So, um... then you can boost the star power or exchange the items... If you boost star power, you can get more ability slots or earn more experience points. If you exchange your item, you get the new one, with different abilities and such. Sounds fun, right? Haha... haha... ha...)
When selecting a piece of headgear:
- "Wil je dit kopen?"
- (You want to buy this?)
When selecting a piece of already-owned headgear:
- "O, dat, eh... Ik geloof dat je dat al hebt. Wil je, eh... de zeldzaamheid van je artikel verhogen, of, eh... het omruilen?"
- (Oh, that, um... I believe you already have that one. Do you want to, um... boost the star power of your item, or, um... exchange it?)
When deciding whether to exchange a piece of headgear:
- "Je verliest de zeldzaamheid en de extra effecten hiervan, dus, eh... Weet je het zeker?"
- (You lose the star power and the secondary abilities of this one, so, um.... Are you sure?)
When trying to trade in a piece of headgear that has the same main ability:
- "Eh, het effect is, eh... precies hetzelfde... Het heeft weinig zin om ze om te ruilen..."
- (Um, the ability is, um... exactly the same... It makes little sense to exchange them...)
When selecting a piece of already-owned headgear with max star power:
- "O, hopelijk, eh... wilde je dat niet al te graag... Want, eh... zeldzamer dan dit kan dit artikel niet worden..."
- (Oh, hopefully, um... you didn't want that too badly... Because, um... a higher star power than this, this item cannot get...)
When selecting a piece of already-bought headgear on the same day:
- "O, die, eh... Die hebben we niet meer op voorraad. Het spijt me heel erg. Ik verkoop klanten niet graag nee..."
- Oh, that one, um... We no longer have that one in stock. I'm very sorry. I don't like to sell customers no...
When selecting a piece of already-bought headgear on the same day in Splatsville:
- "Huh? O, oepsie... Die is, eh... al uitverkocht..."
- (Huh, oh, oopsie... That one is, um... already sold out...)
When buying a piece of headgear:
- "Wil je dit dragen?"
- (You want to wear this?)
After buying a piece of headgear:
- "Oké, leuk, leuk. Eh, als je je nieuwe artikel wilt dragen, dan kun je dan in het menu UITRUSTING doen... Dat wist je vast allang..."
- (Okay, nice, nice. Um, if you want to wear your new item, then you can do GEAR in the menu... You probably already knew that...)
When not having enough cash:
- "O, eh... Misschien had je gemist dat, eh... je dit niet helemaal kunt... betalen..."
- (Oh, um... Perhaps you had missed that, um... you can't quite... afford this...)
- Main article: Badge#Purchased Items
Spending enough money by buying items from Annie at Cooler Heads will reward the payer with special Badges that they can use on their Splashtag.
|100K Cooler Heads Club|
|1M Cooler Heads Club|
Annie in Cooler Heads in an early version of Splatoon.
Annie's reaction to the player not having enough Cash.
Unofficial render of Annie's game model on The Models Resource.
Annie's icon in SplatNet 2.
Annie in the logo of SplatNet Gear Shop.
Artwork of Annie and Moe for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest.
Annie and Moe in Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass.
Annie welcoming the player into Cooler Heads
Annie selling the player the Urchins Cap
Annie's Tableturf Battle card sleeve
Annie's icon in Cooler Heads
- Annie's name is a pun on the word "anemone," as it sounds like the "ane" in "anemone". Moe's name completes the pun.
- It is possible that Annie has a romantic interest in Sheldon. However, this possibility is only mentioned in Chapter 4 of the Squid Sisters Stories when Callie blurts out in excitement, "Do you think Annie and Sheldon...?!" to which Marie responds, smiling, "No way, not a chance."
- In the same chapter, according to Crusty Sean, Annie was also looking for a new gig and had kept herself busy decorating weapons at Ammo Knights. The more she did it, the more she felt a detail-oriented part-time job suited her perfectly. This is probably what inspired her to start the online retail service, SplatNet Gear Shop.
- Annie was on Team Chaos for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest, with her reasoning that it matches the eccentric gear abilities she sells in her online shop.
- Annie seems to be slightly skeptical of Spyke, as seen in the Splatoon 2 relationship chart, in which she states "He seems dangerous..."  Additionally, in Inkopolis Plaza, the alleyway that Spyke inhabits is directly opposite Cooler Heads, Annie's shop. This connection could be a reference to sea urchins and sea anemones being natural enemies.
Names in other languages
|From アネモネ anemone|
|Given name, resembling part of anemoon (anemone)|
|French||Anne||Given name, resembling part of anémone (anemone)|
|German||Anne-Mona||Combination of the names Anne and Mona, resembling Anemone.|
|Italian||Anemonica||From anemone and Monica, a female given name|
|From анемон anemon (anemone) and Аня Anya (a diminutive of Anna, a female given name)|
Transcription of English name
|Spanish||Némona||From anémona (anemone)|
|From 帽 (hat) and 海葵 (sea anemone)|
From 小 (little) and 海葵 (sea anemone)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Official English Splatoon Website, Squid Sisters Stories
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Character profile on Splatoon Base
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Art of Splatoon page 64
- ↑ [SplatoonJP tweet translation]
- ↑ Post from Japanese Splatoon Twitter.
- ↑ @SplatoonNA on Twitter
- ↑ Live from Squid Research Lab: Annie: Team Chaos
- ↑ NintendoVS Twitter - Splatoon 2 relationship chart
- ↑ Sunken Scroll 9 (Splatoon 2), Squid Sisters Stories, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Splatoon 3
- ↑ Splatoon 2 Direct and by Murch in Splatoon 2 only
- ↑ Splatoon 3 and SplatNet
- ↑ Pre-release material
- ↑ From the official Chinese release of The Art of Splatoon
- ↑ Splatoon 3