|Hair color||Orange/Pastel Green|
|“||Now this right here is Flow. You'll find her working at Headspace, Inkopolis's spot for hats and helmets. From the way she talks, she might seem a bit loopy, but that's just part of her mysterious vibe. Word has it she's a bit older than most of her Inkling customers, and teasing them is one of her favorite pastimes.||”|
Flow is a character in Splatoon 2. She is a sea slug who operates the headgear shop Headspace along with Craymond.
Flow's clothing style resembles a 1960s hippie look; her clothes are very loose and baggy, and their colors are earthy in tone. She wears a purple shawl with tassels over a gray shirt and a long, black dress. She wears a black beaded necklace with a teal squid shaped jewel and black sandals with red jewels in the center.
She has a large, hat-like orange mantle with pastel green and orange striped rhinophores on her head, upon which Craymond sits. She has some structures which resemble hair, which are orange with a gradient deep pink at the tips, that come down slightly past her shoulders. Flow's eyes are emerald green with dotted line patterns around her pupils and dark pink eyelashes with minty tips. She has a long tail behind her with a row of orange cerata on top of the base.
According to The Art of Splatoon 2, she has "child-like" facial features, but is actually much older than her appearance lets on.
Personality and traits
Flow is a very spacey and lax woman, to the point where local Inklings would call her their "crazy aunt". This is also demonstrated through her speech. She is "a bit older than most of her Inkling customers, and teasing them is one of her favorite pastimes". She also enjoys drinking alcohol, and loves to tease children she finds cute while drunk. Her "baby face" makes it "impossible to tell how old she truly is." She is the manager of Headspace, a position she was given upon meeting the owner on a working holiday.
She met Craymond in her travels, finding him floating around her head rather unexpectedly while on a trip, remarking as such with amusement. In reality, she was actually lost on said trip and had not noticed yet; Craymond, not wanting to "sit by and not help", joined up with her.
According to concept art from The Art of Splatoon 2, Flow was at conceptualized as having a "no-strings attached" friendship with Spyke. The book implies that she befriends men easier than women, and that she tends to scare girls away at times given her "rough around the edges" personality, but she has lots of friends and is rather popular, especially with older crowds, due to her cute appearance. She would "innocently like a boyfriend", making her one of the few characters actually interested in the dating scene alongside Crusty Sean. This concept art information has not been confirmed to apply to Flow's character in the final release of Splatoon 2.
North America (English)
- "Whoa, friend... I could feel your aura before you even set foot in my shop. Your eagerness is palpable. But I'm afraid I can't sell you my wares until you're truly ready for them. Until you're able to channel that energy into bettering yourself. Once you make it to level 4, I think you'll be ready, but I don't want to rush it. It should happen organically or not at all. Now go! Realize your potential, friend! I have no doubt you'll find yourself after a couple dozen Regular Battles." - When a player below Level 4 enters the shop.
- "Ah, hello, friend. I'd love to help you, but I'm not feeling a connection. Come back once you're connected to the Internet, and we'll start fresh." - When the player is offline.
- "Ah, hello my little inkfish. Welcome to Headspace. You know, of course, that each piece of gear can grant you an ability, don't you? Well if you want the nitty-gritty, just push to read up on it." - When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Oh hey, that reminds me... We've started a new service here. You know how the versions you buy from the SplatNet gear shop come with different primary abilities, right? Well, you can now trade in that SplatNet gear for what we've got here. Gear you can trade in has a 🔁 on it, so try it out!" - Additional info when a player at Level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time. (Post 2.0.0 update)
- "Hmm? Ah, welcome, friend." - When a player enters the shop the second time after any of previous instances.
- "You'd like to buy it?" - When the player selects a piece of headgear.
- "Equip it?" - When the player purchases a piece of headgear.
- "Thanks, sweetie. If you're looking to renew yourself, just press Equip!" - After the player chooses whether to equip a new piece of headgear.
- "You may be rich in spirit, but we don't accept spirit here..." - When the player is out of cash and attempts to purchase an item.
- "Put on your inking cap, darling. You already own that one." - When a player attempts to purchase an item but already owns it.
- "You've got a piece of gear we carry that has a different primary ability. Wanna trade it in?" - When a player attempts to buy a piece of gear they already have, but it has a different Ability.
When the player enters the shop before reaching level 4
- "Ho, watervlo… Ik voelde je aura al voor je binnenkwam… Je hebt een sterke energie. Maar ik kan je mijn spullen niet verkopen voor je er klaar voor bent. Je moet die energie van je inzetten voor zelfontplooiing. Als je niveau 4 hebt, ben je er wel klaar voor, geloof ik. Maar je moet het niet forceren. Zoiets moet organisch gaan, weet je. Ga nu maar… Ga op zoek naar je ware zelf. Je zult jezelf wel vinden na een paar standaardgevechten."
(Ho, water flea... I already felt your aura before you came in... You have strong energy. But I can't sell you my stuff before you're ready. You have to use that energy for self-development. If you have level 4, you are ready, I believe. But you shouldn't force it. Such a thing has to go organic, you know. Now go... Go look for your true self. You will find yourself after a couple regular battles.)
When the player at level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Hm…? O, halloooo. Welkom bij Hoofdmoot. Je weet toch al dat elk kledingstuk een bepaald effect heeft, hè? Nou, als je precies wilt weten hoe het zit, kies dan om verlichting te ervaren. Hmkee?"
(Hm...? O, helloooo. Welcome to Headspace. You already know that every piece of clothing has a particular ability, huh? Well, if you want to know exactly what's up with that, then choose to experience enlightenment. Hmkay?)
- "O, inktvisje, voor ik het vergeet… We bieden een nieuwe dienst aan. Je hebt vast wel gezien dat hetzelfde kledingstuk soms een ander hoofdeffect heeft, als je het in de Tentashop koopt. Nou, vanaf nu kun je die uitrusting uit de Tentashop hier ruilen, als we hetzelfde voorwerp hebben. Je herkent de uitrusting aan 🔁!"
(O, little squid, before I forget... We offer a new service. You probably have seen that the same piece of clothing has a different main ability sometimes, if you buy it in the SplatNet Gear Shop. Well, as of now you can swap the gear of the Gear Shop here, if we have the same item. You recognize the gear by 🔁!)
When the player at level 7 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Ooo, jij bent het, mijn inktvisje… Je aura is alleen nog maar sterker geworden sinds je vorige bezoek. Laten we samen eens kijken of we nog wat fraaie spulletjes voor je hebben, hmkee?"
(Ooo, it's you, my little squid... Your aura has only become stronger since your last visit. Lets take a look together if we still have some nice stuff for you, hmkay?)
When the player at level 10 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "O hallooo, watervlo! Je aura straalt als nooit tevoren… Als je jezelf toch eens kon zien…"
(O hellooo, water flea! Your aura shines as never before... If only you could see yourself...)
When the player at level 13 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Welkom, welkom… Je bent altijd welkom in Hoofdmoot! Wauw… Je aura glanst als verse inkt. Ik zal flitsendere uitrusting voor je moeten inkopen!"
(Welcome, welcome... You are always welcome to Headspace! Wow... Your aura shines as fresh ink. I will have to buy flashier gear for you!)
When the player at level 16 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Welkom bij Hoofdmoot… Neem je tijd om rustig rond te kij… Ben… Ben jij het, inktvisje van me? Je aura is zo vers dat ik je haast niet had herkend!"
(Welcome to Headspace... take your time to loo... Is it... Is it you, my little squid? Your aura is so fresh that I almost did not recognize you!)
When the player at level 20 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "JE… JE AURA! Zoiets heb ik nog nooit gezien… Je straalt zo fel dat ik een zonnebril nodig heb!"
(YOUR... YOUR AURA! I have never seen something like that before... You shine so bright that I need sunglasses!)
When a player enters the shop the second time after any of previous instances.
- "Hmm? O, welkom!"
(Hmm? O, welcome!)
When the player selects a piece of headgear they already own but came from the SplatNet Gear Shop.
- "Dit voorwerp heb je al, maar dan met een ander hoofdeffect. Wil je het misschien ruilen?"
(You already have this item, but with a different main ability. You want to trade it perhaps?)
When the player selects an item.
- "Wil je dit kopen?"
(You want to buy this?)
When the player purchased an item.
- "Wil je dit nu dragen?"
(You want to wear this now?)
After the player chooses whether to equip a new item.
- "Dank je, lief inktvisje. Als je jezelf opnieuw wilt vinden, druk je gewoon op UITRUSTING!"
(Thank you, sweet little squid. If you want to find yourself again, just press GEAR!)
When the player has not enough cash to purchase an item.
- "Je bent dan wel rijk van geest, maar met geest kun je hier niet betalen…"
(You may be rich in spirit, but you can't pay with spirit here...)
When the player selects an item they already own.
- "Wel gefocust blijven, hè? Dit heb je al, schattebout."
(Stay focused, huh? You already have this, sweetheart.)
When the player is not connected to the Internet.
- "Hé hallo, watervlo! Ik help je graag, maar ik voel geen connectie met je. Kom maar eens terug als je een internetverbinding hebt, oké?"
(Hey hello, water flea! I love to help you, but I feel no connection with you. Come back when you have an internet connection, okay?)
Photograph of Flow and Craymond in a Sunken Scroll
Mem cake of Flow
Artwork of Flow and Craymond for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest
Concept art from Flow's section in The Art of Splatoon 2
A LINE sticker of Flow and Craymond
- Flow used to be a traveler. During her travels, she met the owner of Headspace. The owner liked her style and offered her the job at the shop.
- Flow's clothing covers both of her arms and one of her feet, leaving one foot exposed. This may reference the fact that sea slugs have no arms and a single foot.
- Flow's relationship with Craymond is a reference to the symbiotic relationship between sea slugs and emperor shrimp in nature.
- The Squid Research Lab says that Craymond "lives among her tendrils", despite sitting on her mantle, which has no structures that could be described as tendrils other than two rhinophores.
- Some official concept art suggests that Flow was going to have a more androgynous look.
- Flow was on Team Chaos for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest, as she wished to connect with the exciting possibilities a world of chaos would bring with it.
- Flow appears in Sunken Scroll 7 of Splatoon 2, alongside an "Ika Airlines" flight ticket.
- Stamps on the passport page shown in the Sunken Scroll show dates that predate the events of Splatoon. The stamps show the year "2007" while the photo that is prominently featured dates back to 2010.
- This fact that Flow likes to drink alcohol could be a reference to how Spanish dancer nudibranches, the species she most resembles, eat toxic creatures such as sponges to maintain their own toxicity levels to ward off predators.
Names in other languages
|A common surname; from "Umiushi" (sea slug)|
|Dutch||Soezie||Suzie (a female given name), and a pun on "soezen" (to drowse), given her personality|
|French||Flo||Similar to English name|
|German||Seecilia||From "See" (sea) and "Cesilia", a given name|
|Italian||Macalù||From "lumaca" (slug)|
|From слизь "sliz" (mucus, slime), and слизняк "sliznyak" (slug)|
|Spanish||Iris||A female given name|