This article lists characters in the Splatoon series.
Agent 3 (Splatoon) - Inkling
|The playable avatar in Splatoon and third agent of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, a supporting character in Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion, and the Captain of the New Squidbeak Splatoon in Splatoon 3.|
Agent 4 - Inkling
|The playable avatar in Splatoon 2 and the fourth agent of the New Squidbeak Splatoon.|
Agent 8 - Octoling
|The playable avatar and main protagonist of Octo Expansion.|
Agent 3 (Splatoon 3) - Inkling or Octoling
|The playable avatar in Splatoon 3 and newest agent of the New Squidbeak Splatoon.|
- Squid Sisters A pop idol duo and former hosts of Inkopolis News in Splatoon.
- Off the Hook A pop idol duo introduced in Splatoon 2 that hosted their own television show, similar to the Squid Sisters from the first game.
- Deep Cut A band introduced in Splatoon 3 that hosts the Anarchy Splatcast.
- Craig Cuttlefish - Inkling - A war hero and leader of the Squidbeak Splatoon, he led the Inklings to victory over the Octarians 100 years ago. Now continues to monitor the Octarians in his old age and recruits new agents to stop their plans.
- DJ Octavio - Octarian - The leader of the Octarian Army.
- Smallfry - Salmonid - The Smallfry companion of the current holder of the Agent 3 title.
- C.Q. Cumber - Sea Cucumber - A translucent blue sea cucumber wearing a train conductor's hat. He is the conductor of the Deepsea Metro.
- Judd - Cat - A cat preserved in time, long after the extinction of humans. He plays the role of referee in multiplayer matches, and also gives battle advice outside the Battle Lobby.
- Li'l Judd - Cat - A clone of Judd. He plays the role of co-referee alongside Judd.
- Mr. Grizz - Grizzly bear - The boss of Grizzco Industries and the main antagonist in Return of the Mammalians. He speaks to his employees in Salmon Run through a fishing bear statue with a radio antenna attached to it.
- Great Zapfish - Zapfish - A giant Zapfish which powers Inkopolis that was stolen by the Octarians twice, and once by Mr. Grizz.
- Iso Padre - Giant Isopod - A resident of the Deepsea Metro who wears sunglasses, a gold neck chain, and a black leisure suit and carries a briefcase filled with toys. He also carries several childish accessories to further emphasize his playful side. He collects mem cakes.
- O.R.C.A. - Artificial Intelligence - A computer system that first appears in Return of the Mammalians. It serves to record data of human history, and to conduct tests for New Agent 3 in Alterna.
- Sheldon - Horseshoe crab - Owner of the Ammo Knights shop in all three Splatoon games. He is easily excited by the variety of weapons used in Turf War and is known to talk about them for a very long time. In Octo Canyon, he lends Agent 4 a variety of Hero weapons to use for specific levels.
- Annie - Sea anemone - The owner of the Cooler Heads store with a very shy personality. A clownfish named Moe lives in her tentacles. Due to getting too flustered greeting customers, she moves her shop online in Splatoon 2.
- Moe - Clownfish - Slings insults at the customers of Cooler Heads at any given opportunity. Despite acting tough, he never leaves the safety of Annie's head.
- Jelonzo - Jellyfish - The owner of the Jelly Fresh store. He is one of the few known jellyfish able to communicate with Inklings, albeit poorly, as his dialogue is rendered in broken English.
- Crusty Sean - Prawn - The owner of the Shrimp Kicks store with an easygoing personality. His jacket gives the impression of tempura. In Splatoon 2, he moves to Inkopolis Square and opens the Crust Bucket.
- Spyke - Sea urchin - Works in the back alley of Inkopolis Plaza. He allows players to order the gear of other players, albeit often for higher prices. In Splatoon 2, he has retired after making money through a get-rich-quick scheme.
- Flow - Sea slug - Owner of the Headspace store with a very spacey and relaxed personality. Most Inklings seem to think of her as their "crazy aunt," and an emperor shrimp named Craymond lives on her head.
- Craymond - Emperor shrimp - Lives on top of Flow's head. He has a very quick and anxious personality, in contrast to Flow, and frequently blurts out words when Flow finishes talking.
- Jelfonzo - Jellyfish - Owner of Ye Olde Cloth Shoppe, and the son of Jelonzo. He is also capable of speaking Inkling, but due to studying ancient texts, his speech is very antiquated. Despite this, he always stays up to date with the freshest styles.
- Bisk - Spider crab - Owner of the Shella Fresh store with a laidback personality. At one point, he broke up with his girlfriend to pursue a career in music.
- Murch - Sea urchin - Lets the player order others' gear and offers various other services to help players get the abilities they want. He is seen to look up to Spyke and appears to be following his get-rich-quick scheme. He appears in both Splatoon 2 and Splatoon 3.
- Gnarly Eddy - Nautilus - Worker at the Naut Couture store with a generally laidback personality. He is the employee of Nails.
- Nails - Sea snail - Owner of the Naut Couture and Gnarly Eddy’s boss. He has an excitable personality to contrast Gnarly Eddy's.
- Jel La Fleur - Jellyfish - Owner of the Man-o'-Wardrobe store who speaks in a somewhat antiquated and formal style.
- Mr. Coco - Coconut crab - Owner of the Crush Station store with a friendly personality, contrasting with his intimidating appearance.
- Harmony - Sea anemone - Runs Hotlantis due to its manager usually being absent. She has a relaxed personality, and additionally serves as the lead singer for Chirpy Chips.
- Main article: Octarian
The Octarians are the main antagonistic species of the story mode in Splatoon. They reside in Octo Valley, and are responsible for stealing Zapfish from Inkopolis. Their main ink color is dark fuchsia. The Octarians fought against the Inklings for territory in the Great Turf War and lost. Unlike Inklings, the species includes a great number of sub-species that act differently from each other.
- Main article: DJ Octavio
- Main article: Salmonid
Salmonids are a species of salmon introduced in Splatoon 2's Salmon Run. They reside far off the coast from Inkopolis on man-made islands called "Spawning Areas". Like Octarians, they have many different varieties. They are fought in Salmon Run as enemies, but in Splatoon 3, one becomes a helpful character.
- Main article: Telephone
Main article: Mr. Grizz
- Main article: Inkling
- Main article: Octoling
- Main article: Jellyfish
Jellyfish can be seen scattered in the cities and across various Stages.
- Main article: Super Sea Snail
- Main article: Zapfish
Creatures that appear in Octo Valley, Octo Canyon, and in The Crater. The player must rescue one at the end of every level in order to proceed in the story. To take the Zapfish, the player must burst its shield with ink, like the Rainmaker's shield. Then they must touch it and the screen and music will change to say that they have passed the level.
- Squid Squad
- Nami - Inkling - Synthesizer
- Ichiya - Inkling - Vocals and Guitar
- Quinn - Inkling - Bass
- Murasaki - Sea urchin - Drums
- Chirpy Chips
- Harmony - Sea anemone - Vocals and Synth
- Clash - Inkling - Guitar
- Orion - Flapjack octopus - Bass
- Sid - Crab - Drums
- Hightide Era
- Taka - Double lined fusilier - Piano and Vocals
- Kuze - Stonefish - Drums
- Nishida - Pacific herring - Guitar
- DJ Lee Fish - Jellyfish (assumed)
- Bob Dub - Inkling (assumed)
- Turquoise October - Octarian (assumed)
- Wet Floor
- Keaton - Inkling - Vocals and Guitar
- Mizo - Inkling - Male Vocals and Guitar
- Ryley - Inkling - Female Vocals and Guitar
- Neil- Cutthroat Eel - Bass
- Candi - Candy crab - Drums
- Bottom Feeders
- Bertie Feeder - Blowfish - Drums
- Murdoch Feeder - Yesso scallop - Guitar
- Finn Feeder - Show betta - Violin
- Tangle Feeder - Mozuku seaweed - Vocals
- Jawn Feeder - Shark - Bass
- Ink Theory
- Maya - Sea anemone - Exotic drums
- Oonie - Sea urchin - Bass
- Yoko - Inkling - Trumpet
- Karen - Nautilus - Piano
- Zuzu - Inkling - Kazoo
- Kitamura - Sea Urchin - Drums
- DJ Real Sole
- The Firstborn Child of Alkyne, the Hidden Blade of Yakiharas - Salmonid - Cellist
- The Valiant Green Flame Born in Jigo- Salmonid - Timpani
- The Faithful Servant of the True Salmon Emperor Hizunamasu - Salmonid - DJ
- Dedf1sh - Octoling (Sanitized)
- Karla - Scaly-foot gastropod - Bass
- Ryu Chang - Carp - Drums
- Myron "Ronnie" Swamps - Largehead hairtail - Guitar
- Paul - Octoling - DJ
- Quinn - Inkling - Bass
- Mashup - Octoling - DJ
- Front Roe
- Damp Socks feat. Off the Hook
- Denizens of the deep.
- Sally and Hara Wataru, a pair of graffiti artists.
- Marie mentions having a friend who is a Blackbelly Skate.
- Marina mentions that one of her friends is a Sea Sponge.
- A handful of animals are seen and/or heard at various locations, including seagulls, sparrows, cicadas, and crickets. Unlike other creatures in Splatoon, many of which have evolved into more human-like forms, these animals seem to have changed very little over time.
- Shy-Ho-Shy, the Squid Sisters' producer. She was a judge at the Youth Folk-Singing Contest, where Callie and Marie's performance caught her attention, which led to her becoming their producer.. She created a demo of City of Color as a reference for the Squid Sisters during the making of the song, which is in Splatoon Live in Makuhari -Shiokalive-. Splatune 2's booklet contains an interview with Marina which mentions that she has been in touch with Shy-Ho-Shy.
- Barry C., the owner of Hotlantis.
- Glen Fiddler, the creator, CEO, and president of the Battle Lobby.
References / Notes