The Ink Vac is known to suck up damaging projectiles and inking droplets as well as the following sub and special weapons:
- Splat Bomb
- Suction Bomb
- Burst Bomb
- Fizzy Bomb
- Curling Bomb
- Angle Shooter
- Point Sensor
- Toxic Mist
- Ink Mine explosion
- Sprinkler and Sprinkler of Doom droplets
- Trizooka shots
- Tenta Missiles' missiles and explosions
- Ink Storm device and ink from the rain cloud
- Booyah Bomb ink ball and explosion
- Ink Vac's ink shot
- Inkjet shots and exhaust
- Ultra Stamp when thrown and stamp attacks (indirect)
- Crab Tank shots
- Reefslider explosion
- Zipcaster explosions (indirect)
- Triple Inkstrike tornados (the guidance devices cannot be sucked up)
- Kraken Royale's jump and charge attacks (blocking them from approaching the Ink Vac player instead of sucking them in)
- Triple Splashdown
- Splattercolor Screen (The device itself can get sucked up. The screen slowly fills the Ink Vac; teammates who walk through the wall while in the suction vortex do not take damage but still lose the ability to see color)
- Rainmaker shots and explosion from the Rainmaker shield
The Ink Vac's suction vortex can also apply object damage to the following:
- The Splatana, Roller, and Brush classes can use their melee attacks, which are not absorbed by the Ink Vac, to damage the user. Some special weapons, such as Reefslider, Zipcaster, and Ultra Stamp can damage and splat the Ink Vac user with direct damage.
- Weapons with a high fire rate such as the Crab Tank's normal firing mode, the Hydra Splatling, and the Heavy Edit Splatling can fill up the Ink Vac and splat the user before they can fire the ink shot.
- An Ink Vac user will not be protected if they are engulfed in a Booyah Bomb or Triple Inkstrike, although they are able to protect teammates who are.
In competitive play
For much of the game's lifespan, Ink Vac was considered one of the weakest specials in the game. It wouldn't be until Version 4.1.0 that Ink Vac would be considered much more viable. In this update, the radius of the Ink Vac's ink shot was increased, allowing the Ink Vac to clear out a larger area and even instantly gain control of some Splat Zones. Furthermore, with the release of the Ballpoint Splatling Nouveau in Drizzle Season 2023, this variant of the Ballpoint Splatling would start to see use in some game modes such as Splat Zones and Rainmaker. Weapons such as the Jet Squelcher would also start to see more use.