Competitive:Dapple Dualies Nouveau
The Dapple Dualies Nouveau's quick splat time and mobility give the weapon a slayer role.
- The main advantage of the Dapple Dualies Nouveau is its fast dodge rolls, giving it more mobility than most dualies such as the Splat Dualies.
- The dodge rolls are performed quickly and can get the user out of danger in a pinch.
- They are also helpful when Super Jumping, as the speed can get the user out of enemy fire quickly.
- Although quick, be wary of any enemy fire as the endlag can leave the user exposed.
- Aside from dodge rolls, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau also has a high damage output, allowing the user to splat opponents quickly
- Its base damage of 36 allows the user to splat opponents in 3 hits, quicker than most other dualies which take normally 4 hits.
- Given its fast fire rate, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau can deal damage quickly to objects such as the Rainmaker shield, Brella shields, and Splash Walls
- The Dapple Dualies Nouveau also has some downsides:
- Like other dualies, dodge rolling can accumulate small points of damage which can allow opponents to splat the user quicker.
- The dodge rolls of the Dapple Dualies travel the shortest distance of all the dualies, leaving the user left in the opponent's range even after dodge rolling.
- The Dapple Dualies Nouveau has a shorter range compared to most other weapons, which can leave the user splatted due to it. Paired with only Toxic Mist, the user will have a hard time poking at longer-distanced opponents if locked out.
While Toxic Mist cannot damage opponents, it can cripple their ability to advance, attack, or flee:
- Throwing Toxic Mist in front of the opponents' positions can either slow their offensive rush or prevent them from quickly reacting on defense. However, beware of any opponents' bombs thrown into or through the Mist.
- Ink-guzzling weapons, such as chargers, splatlings, sloshers, and most blasters, are most affected by its ink tank-draining effects.
- Throwing Toxic Mist onto areas frequented by opponents, such as their snipe or the Tower, can dissuade them from remaining there.
- Dropping a Toxic Mist behind while fleeing an unfavorable situation can buy precious time to escape.
- Opponents wielding heavyweight weapons – including the Explosher, the Tenta Brella, and especially the Rainmaker – are extremely vulnerable to attack if caught in Toxic Mist. Note that the Rainmaker does not depend on its wielder's ink tank and can still fire shots while within a Toxic Mist.
- Starting from Version 4.2.0, opposing dualie wielders will have to spend 3.5 times the usual amount of ink to perform a dodge roll, reducing their ability to strafe, rush forward, or zone out targets.
- As of Version 5.2.0 onwards, Toxic Mist can also slow opponents using a Baller, preventing them from taking over space for their teammates.
Ink Storm is an area of effect (AoE) special weapon that can alter the battle if activated in the right location and direction:
- Immediately upon activating the special, its user will be holding the Ink Storm device and be vulnerable to attack. Therefore, do not activate the special while being attacked, and make sure to throw it onto a surface before an opponent gets the opportunity to splat you.
- Slower, less mobile opponents – especially Rainmaker carriers – are less capable of escaping Ink Storm's area of effect and, thus, are more adversely affected.
- Its gradual damage makes it a good counter against Ink Armor.
- Ink Storm's damage on the opponent becomes more effective whenever the opponent has less space to maneuver around, such as in an alley or on the Tower.
- Defensively, Ink Storm can slow or disrupt the opponents' push by either altering their intended attack routes or weakening any opponents within the storm.
- Offensively, Ink Storm can soften opposing defenses by forcing opponents out of optimal positions and inflicting chip damage onto those caught in the ink rain.
- Besides potentially damaging opponents, Ink Storm also gradually turfs any non-vertical surface it travels over:
- The damaging and turfing effects of Ink Storm are slower and more gradual than those of a Bomb Launcher but are automatic and do not require its users to risk endangering themselves.
- An Ink Storm above the Rainmaker can either weaken its shield to pop it or prevent the opponent from popping it.
- Special weapons are also free ink tank refills, allowing a Dapple Dualies Nouveau user to launch Ink Storm and immediately attack opponents fleeing it.
While one user of a short-ranged weapon such as the Dapple Dualies Nouveau might get away with a lack of range, having too many short-ranged weapons on a team without a longer-ranged weapon to provide support fire is often disadvantageous for several reasons:
- An opponent with a long-ranged weapon can more aggressively position themselves to zone out the entire shorter-ranged team.
- The opposing slayers can play more aggressively, knowing that there is no long-range threat to pick them off from afar.
The Dapple Dualies Nouveau's lack of lethal bombs can also be a liability to a team composition. Lethal bombs – particularly either Splat or Suction Bombs – provide their user's team a couple of advantages over another team that has no lethal bombs in its composition:
- Their one-hit-splat offers its user's team chances of instantly gaining a numbers advantage, from which a game-winning push can arise.
- Their lethal explosion provides space for its user's team to either push into an area held by the opponent or stall an opponent's push.
Ink Storm is intended for either contesting territory, such as Splat Zones or stalling opponents' pushes but is not as reliable at splatting opponents who actively avoid the Storm. Therefore, it is advised to have other special weapons available to complement Ink Storm, as having too many users of any combination of Ink Storm and Bomb Launcher (no more than two) in a team composition will limit a team's arsenal of weapons:
- Ink Storm provides no direct means of protection, meaning that opponents can still fire or throw sub-weapons into the Storm.
- Other special weapons, such as Inkjet or Sting Ray, are intended for splatting opponents and are more capable than Ink Storm.
Combining Ink Storm with other specials can bolster a team's ability to either make a push or counter the opponents' push:
- Ink Armor and other protective special weapons, such as Baller and Bubble Blower, can increase the survivability of a team as they push into contested territory.
- After launching Ink Storm, a teammate who is using a special weapon designed for splat opponents, such as Sting Ray or Inkjet, can further limit the opponents' escape options or splat them as they scatter.
- Matchups between Dapple Dualies Nouveau users on opposing teams are determined by each player's skill, positioning, turf control, and the presence of any teammates.
- Any weapon that has a combination of longer range, better accuracy, or higher damage output without sacrificing too much mobility can counter the Dapple Dualies Nouveau. For example, both the Kensa Splattershot Pro and L-3 Nozzlenose and their respective variants meet all of these requirements.
- Whenever the Dapple Dualies Nouveau dodge roll, they are likely to briefly touch enemy ink, accumulating small amounts of damage. Weapons that use Main Power Up, such as the Kensa Splattershot Pro, Custom Dualie Squelchers, and the Bamboozler 14 Mk I not only have a range advantage but can splat the Dapple Dualies Nouveau faster than the user can splat them.
- Users of long-ranged weapons, such as chargers and other splatlings, outrange an opposing Dapple Dualies Nouveau user and can fire upon them with impunity. Chargers can also predict where a Dapple Dualies Nouveau user will be after a roll and splat them before they can fire. However, once the Dapple Dualies Nouveau gets close, it can outmaneuver and outdraw its less mobile, slower-firing opponent.
- A competent Dapple Dualies Nouveau user is likely capable of both flanking and sharking:
- Keep track of all four members of the opposing team – which ones are present, which ones are splatted, and which ones are back at their spawn point.
- Check the map periodically for opposing ink forming around flanks to anticipate a flanking attack.
- To prevent sharking, check suspicious puddles of the opponents' ink, preferably with a thrown sub-weapon.
- Weapons that track opponents, such as Point Sensors, temporarily prevent an opponent from sharking and make them an easier target for long-ranged teammates to pick off.
- When pursued by a Dapple Dualies Nouveau user, using almost any sub weapon (except for Squid Beakons) can either delay their pursuit or deter them from chasing.
- If an opposing Dapple Dualies Nouveau user uses Toxic Mist to restrict your team's movement, consider throwing bombs either into or beyond the Mist to prevent them from traveling through it.
- When facing an opposing Ink Storm, assess where is a safe place to either reroute an attack or reposition on defense:
- In general, avoid getting caught under an opponent's Ink Storm for an extended time, but also be wary of opponents waiting to pick off anyone fleeing the Storm.
- When facing a team that possesses both Ink Storm and main weapons whose damage is increased with Main Power Up, pay extra attention to where the Main Power Up-boosted opponents are at whenever they launch their Ink Storm.
- If you must travel under an opponent's Ink Storm, avoid moving in the same direction that the Storm is traveling to minimize damage.
- Even while avoiding an opponent's Ink Storm, it is still possible to turf or otherwise influence the area underneath. Long-ranged weapons, thrown sub-weapons, and other special weapons (such as a counter-Ink Storm or Bomb Launcher) can splat opponents or dissuade them from occupying the turf underneath.
Gear abilities provide different effects in battle that benefit the player with their equipped weapon. This is a guide to gear abilities concerning the weapon. Strategy, synergy, viability, and purpose may be written here.
Bomb Defense Up DX will not only reduce the damage taken from opposing sub and special weapons that are not one-hit-splat but will also reduce the duration of the tracking effects of certain opponent's sub and special weapons, such as Point Sensors and Ink Mines, allowing the user of this ability to evade detection more easily.
- 3 ability points - one sub - has a lot of utility and therefore should be run on any weapon. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ink Armor will not break due to splash damage from bombs and other explosives that do 30 damage.
- Two near-misses from Inkjet, two bumps from a Baller, and splash damage from two bubbles from Bubble Blower will not splat the user.
- Getting hit by splash damage from a bomb will not make the user visible on the map.
Unless a Dapple Dualies Nouveau user is on an extended splatting streak, they can expect to get splatted often. When equipped, Comeback grants 10 ability points of six different stackable abilities for twenty seconds after respawning from getting splatted by an opponent:
Ink Saver (Main) and Swim Speed Up are the most useful for the wielder, allowing them to reduce the amount of ink consumed by dodge rolls (9% to 7.77%) and more quickly pursue and pressure the opponent upon returning from spawn. Special Charge Up also allows the wielder to obtain Ink Storm faster on respawn.
Quick Respawn shortens respawn time after getting splatted (under specific conditions), encouraging a Napples user to remain aggressive even after getting splatted.
- 28 Ability Points- 1 main and 6 subs, is enough to reduce quick respawn time from 8.5 seconds, to 5.65 seconds.
Super Jumping to a teammate after respawning carries the risk of getting splatted upon landing, due to the appearance of a Super Jump indicator. When equipped, Stealth Jump better covers this indicator from long-distance opponents, allowing its user to more safely return to the front lines and maintain pressure on the opponent.
As a short-ranged weapon that excels at flanking, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau greatly benefits if it can swim faster. Swim Speed Up enables its user to more quickly close the distance towards an opponent, more promptly respond to an opponent's push, or even escape unfavorable situations.
- 6 ability points - two subs - increase the swim speed from 1.92 DU/f to 2.01 DU/f, which is roughly the same default swimming speed for lightweight weapons.
- 16 ability points – one main and two subs – increase the swim speed from 1.92 DU/f to 2.14 DU/f.
Not recommended. Haunt does not provide much of a benefit to the Dapple Dualies Nouveau compared to other abilities.
Not recommended, as the dodge rolls don't use too much of the ink tank, and ink efficiency isn't a problem for the Dapple Dualies Nouveau.
The Splatoon 3 version is also lightweight with fast rolling speed and a fast firing rate, which makes splatting enemies quick and efficient. Its kit contains the Torpedo and Reefslider, which both go well with this weapon.
The Dapple Dualies Nouveau struggle in some areas but are strong in others.
- The Dapple Dualies have really good DPS, allowing for quick splats and damage to objects such as the Rainmaker shield.
- The Dapple Dualies have quick rolls with low-end lag, allowing it to avoid attacks with ease. However, because the dodge rolls also cover the shortest distance of any dualie, multiple sets of rolls may be required to completely exit the enemy's range.
Torpedos can also be powerful.
- Throw a Torpedo at the ground to combo with shots.
- Torpedoes can be good for poking enemies outside the main weapon's range.
- Torpedoes can be good for locating hiding and sharking opponents.
Reefslider can be useful if used correctly.
- Use Reefslider when pursuing an escaping enemy to quickly chase them down and splat them.
- The player can use Reefslider to start a push, clearing out all opponents in a large area and letting your team move in safely.
- If used correctly, the player can use the Reefslider as a sacrifice for their team. Use the Reefslider to distract opponents into splatting them, and then letting their team splat the distracted opponents.
- The Dapple Dualies Nouveau can benefit from allies with extra range, such as the Ballpoint Splatling, the Squiffer, the Squeezer, the Snipewriter 5H, or the E-liter 4k that can take care of enemies out of range.
The Dapple Dualies Nouveau has some gear abilities that can enhance its abilities in combat.
As a slayer, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau may get splatted a lot. Quick Respawn can help the Dapples respawn quicker if the player slips up.
As stated earlier, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau can get splatted a lot, so Special Saver can preserve its Reefslider gauge after getting splatted. The Reefslider's gauge also depletes fast during its vulnerable startup, so it can help when using the special, too.
Special Power Up increases the radius of the Reefslider's explosion. This makes it paint more and increases its damage radius. Larger areas can be affected by the explosion and can clear out more opponents.
The Dapple Dualies Nouveau has good mobility, so Run Speed Up increases its strafe speed and can make it harder to hit.
In competitive play
After the Dapple Dualies Nouveau were released in Chill Season 2022, they didn't see much use. They were outclassed by the Dark Tetra Dualies which was another Dualie class weapon with a location-based sub weapon and the Reefslider. The main weapon was much weaker than the Tetra Dualies.
Some say that they have a legitimate reason to be played instead of the Dark Tetra Dualies in some modes, such as Rainmaker, where the Dapple Dualies Nouveau have much better DPS.
Currently, the Dapple Dualies Nouveau doesn't see much use, as the Dark Tetra Dualies are the better main weapon. But, they still do have their uses.