The Sting Ray consists of two parts, a handle and a tank, as well as the ink beam. The tank is mainly red with a stripe at the bottom that changes color to match the user's ink. A small sticker bearing the Custom logo can be seen on the tank's bottom, and the letters in the Custom logo are painted in white across the tank. Attached to the back of the tank is a large gray motor with a tube sticking out of it. Said tube connects the handle to the tank. The handle is also mainly red with highlights in the user's ink color. Sticking out of the handle's front is a large gray nozzle. The beam of ink that is shot by the Sting Ray is colored completely in that of the user's ink. The beam itself is fairly thin, but after firing for a few seconds, it gains some large shockwaves around it. Said shockwaves are very similar in appearance to those shot out of a Killer Wail.
When activated, it allows the player to fire a continuous ink laser that pierces through obstacles. To balance this, there is a 0.7 second delay after the player presses before the laser fires and the turning when firing is slow (though the player can stop firing it to quickly reaim it in the camera's direction).
When the Sting Ray is active but not fired, the player can see white silhouettes of opponents through opaque obstacles as if Thermal Ink or Haunt were active, assisting the player to locate opponents for Sting Ray splats. The silhouettes also temporarily disappear if the player is within a certain distance from the opponent (Bomb Defense Up DX increases this minimum distance) or the opponent submerges in ink.
The Sting Ray's laser deals 1.8 damage per frame while it makes contact with an opponent. While it has excellent range and can hurt players hiding behind cover, the Sting Ray's beam is narrow. After 1.5 seconds of being continuously fired (starting from the moment is held down), the Sting Ray's beam gets wider. This is reset after the player stops firing or turns into a squid or octopus.
It appears in 4 Octo Canyon missions:
- Sunset Octocopter (Mission #3)
- Enter the Octohurler (Mission #4)
- Octozeppelin Invasion (Mission #6)
- Octolings Ahoy! (Mission #21)
Special Power Up
- Main article: Special Power Up
Equipping Special Power Up with Sting Ray increases its duration.
|“||Hold down to fire a high-pressure jet of ink that can blast through walls. You can't change direction quickly while firing this. When not firing, you can see the location of opponents on the other side of walls.||”|
|“||Firing a high-pressure, wall-piercing jet of ink while is being pressed. While firing this weapon you will be unable to turn quickly. When not firing, you will be able to see enemy locations through walls.||”|
— Splatoon 2 Sub & Special Guide(EU)[b]
- North America and Oceania
An Inkling using the Sting Ray.
For competitive tips about Sting Ray
|View the strategy page.|
- Sting Ray is made by the Custom brand.
- The Sting Ray's English name is a reference to the real-life marine animal of the same name. It could also be a reference to a ray gun, which would shoot a laser-like projectile.
- The Sting Ray appears to be based on a pressure washer, particularly a gas powered one, hinted at by the ambient sounds the weapon makes when not firing.
- The weapons with the smallest point requirements for Sting Ray are the Squeezer, Dynamo Roller and Clash Blaster at 180p each. The weapons with the largest point requirements for Sting Ray are the Splat Charger, Hero Charger Replica, and Splatterscope at 220p each.
- There are no brushes, dualies or brellas that have the Sting Ray as their special weapon, nor is it paired with Suction Bombs, Toxic Mist, Point Sensors, Squid Beakons, Fizzy Bombs or Torpedoes as their sub weapon.
- In one of her conversations with Callie in Tentakeel Outpost, Marie's nickname for activating the Sting Ray when the Tower is almost at the goal is "SHINING VICTORY BEEEEEEEEAM".
- The Stinger is a Boss Salmonid whose attack emulates the Sting Ray.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Magistraal||Portmanteau of magistraal (masterly) and straal (beam)|
|French||Pigmalance||From pigment and lance (throw)|
|German||Hochdruckverunreiniger||High-Pressure Polluter (play on Hochdruckreiniger (high-pressure cleaner))|
|Italian||Baccalaser||Portmanteau of "baccalà" ("salted cod") and "laser"|
|From струя struya (jet, stream)|
|Spanish||Rayo tintódico||Inktodic Ray|