|SashiMori are part of the rising tide of new bands emerging in this post Inklings vs. Octolings world we find ourselves in. They were originally a wall-of-sound style hard rock band, but decided to ditch their domineering singer. Now, the remaining three members—a carp, a cutlassfish, and a scaly-foot—have recruited a 10 year old Octoling DJ (a true genius on the wheels of steel), to form a new band with a new sound, for a new generation.
— Live from the Squid Research Lab
Karla is the band's bassist. They are a scaly-foot gastropod and are quite silent, rarely talking even in interviews. Prior to joining this band, they were part of a now disbanded band that utilized noisy death-metal vocals, which they were able to withstand thanks to their ironclad body. Much about their life is unknown, including their age, and whether or not they eat anything. However, it is stated that they do not appear to have bad intentions.
Paul is the band's DJ. He is a ten-year old Octoling, and his favorite foods are kelp and biscuits. He remixes from sources including DJ Real Sole, DJ Octavio, and various ancient records, and is surprisingly talented for his age. Originally, SashiMori had a traditional vocalist, but they were replaced due to their self-centered personality, after which Paul was recruited through a tweet. According to the Japanese Family vs. Friends dialogue, he is friends with Marina.
Ryu Chang is the band's drummer. They are a koi carp and come from the base of Mount Nantai in an area with a mountain stream. They are 35 years old and grew up in a prestigious home, but went hardcore during their teenage years, dedicating themselves to punk rock. They enjoy illustration as a hobby, and designed the band's mascot. They play Rainmaker on a team with Kuze and Bertie Feeder.
Myron "Ronnie" Swamps
Myron "Ronnie" Swamps is the band's guitarist. They are a largehead hairtail, and come from an instrumental background, though they formed the band when they wished to incorporate accompanied singing. They had a negative opinion of Paul when he initially joined the band, considering him tiny and awful, but recently they have changed their mind. They are a prestigious studio musician, and they participate in many activities outside the band.
|A unique band with a guitar, bass, drums, and DJ. SashiMori used to have a traditional vocalist, but the band moved on after he revealed the extent of his domineering personality. Ultimately he was replaced by a 10-year-old DJ that the band recruited through a tweet!
— Splatoon Base
|This music has vocals but no vocalist! Through the genius of DJ Paul, all the vocals have been sampled from a collection of ancient vinyl. So cool! Thanks to DJ Paul, this band is one of the most unique quartets around—even without a vocalist.
— Splatoon Base
Album art from Splatoon 2.
SashiMori logo from the Splatoon Base website
- The band does not have a vocalist, instead sampling from various interconnected voice clips said to come from ancient records. It is said that these vocals are different from those of any sea creature, implying that these may be human voices.
- Paul bears some resemblance to Acht, with both having the same skull or octopus icon on their headwear and wearing black tops.
- The band's mascot character is called "Wasabi" or "ワサビくん" in Japanese, and it appears to be shavings of wasabi with a face. This character was designed by Ryu Chang, the band's drummer.
- The album art for SashiMori contains different kinds of ingredients used in assorted sashimi, some of which include salmon, salmon roe, tuna, squid, yellowtail, cucumber, chrysanthemum, and shiso leaf. Largehead hairtail, the species of Myron, is also often sliced into sashimi.
- When asked if Pearl is the former vocalist of the band, Hisashi Nogami left it "to your imagination". The vocalist is referred to with male pronouns in the English version of the Splatoon Base website, but their gender is not revealed in the Japanese version.
- Karla was initially designed as one of the denizens of the deep. In concept art shown in HaikaraWalker, they are described as a "stern older girl". Their design did not appear in the final version of the mode, but was later repurposed as a member of SashiMori.
Names in other languages
|Assorted sashimi. An abbreviation for Sashimi moriawase.
|"竜" is a kanji that means "dragon" (specifically a Chinese dragon)
- SplatoonJP Twitter reveal post
- Squid Research Lab Tumblr reveal post
- Fan translation of HaikaraWalker
- SashiMori band profile on Splatoon base
- Splatoon Base page on SashiMori
- Squid Research Lab Tumblr - Chopscrewey preview
- Squid Research Lab Tumblr - Entropical preview
- Splatoon 2 second anniversary interview summary by rassicas
- HaikaraWalker pg. 14